Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Treasury, Taxation, and Vehicles

You are here

Motor Vehicle: Frequent Questions

General Questions

There are currently two office locations for Johnson County residents to process their vehicle registrations/titling. There is one at Mission and at Olathe.

Both Motor Vehicle locations offer a new line queuing system that provides customers more intuitive options to waiting in line by delivering line status updates through cell phone text messages. With this new system, customers will be able to check-in and then they will be free to continue with all of their other daily activities without the hassle and anxiety of waiting at Motor Vehicle. By improving the line management system, Johnson County is looking to provide a more positive customer experience at Motor Vehicle.

To get in line, please check-in online through our website.  Note: If the estimated wait time exceeds our hours of operation (M-F 7:30 am-4:00 pm), you will not be able to check-in online until the following business day. 

  • To check-in online:
    • Choose a Motor Vehicle location, Mission or Olathe, on our home page, under the "Get In Line at Motor Vehicle" heading.
    • Read through the Information Disclaimer and accept or decline.
    • Choose a language, English or Spanish.
    • Enter your cell phone number, be sure to include the area code, then push Next.
    • The next screen provides a brief explanation of what to expect. Please take time to read this screen.
    • Continue to printable confirmation.
  • When titling and registering, you may pay a registration fee and sales tax on a new or used vehicle, along with personal property taxes.
  • You may pay your tag registration using cash, check (with valid driver's license and daytime phone number), money order, cashier's check, or credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). There will be a service fee charged by the payment processor for using a credit or debit card.
  • If you are registering more than one vehicle, you may combine to make one payment.
  • There will be a $30.00 service charge per each returned check.
  • To view the current credit/debit card and echeck convenience fees for all online payments, please go to Online Tag Renewal
  • If you are paying in person by credit or debit card at either the Olathe or Mission location, the fee will be as follows:
    • 2.6% of total transaction for all card types, with a $3.00 minimum (subject to change).

When paying fees, the check can be made payable to Johnson County Motor Vehicle.

  • If a vehicle is purchased from a family member, a Relationship Affidavit needs to be completed. Depending on the relationship, this may allow sales tax not to be collected on the purchase price of the vehicle at the time of registration.

If a vehicle is gifted to an individual, the title needs to be assigned to the individual and the Vehicle Gift Certification section of the Affidavit To A Fact needs to be filled out.

To renew your registration by mail you may send a check, money order or cashier’s check in the envelope provided with your renewal notice, along with valid proof of insurance. Applications for lien releases, disabled placards, duplicate or secured titles (with payments) and refunds can be dropped off or mailed to either of our Motor Vehicle Offices for processing. Please refer to Motor Vehicle Forms for the proper application and documentation needed for each of these items. These will be processed and mailed back to the address on file.

When a person changes his or her last name, an update is made both to the title ownership and the vehicle registration. This might affect your registration renewal month and could mean that you would owe additional property tax and fees.

If you do not have a lien holder, you need to surrender your current title. If you have lost your title, you may order a replacement title. There is a $10.00 fee and you will need to  fill out this application in order to request a new one to be sent to you.

If you have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to have your lienholder fill out the Lienholder’s Consent form, which tells us that your lienholder is in agreement with a name change in the ownership of the vehicle.

Once you have your paperwork ready, please bring your title or lienholder’s consent form, as well as your current license plate and insurance into one of our motor vehicle offices.

If you have recently sold a vehicle with a current tag or plate, you may be eligible for a refund of the unused portion of registration and property tax. Refunds will be given starting the next full month after the tag or plate and all documents are submitted. You will need to provide the current tag or plate along with the corresponding decals, the original current year Kansas registration receipt, the Social Security numbers for all owners listed, the signature for all owners listed, and the sold vehicle refund form. If the plate has been lost or stolen, you must obtain a police report. You should mail this documentation to one of the Motor Vehicle offices. Refunds may take up to 30 days to complete.

If you have moved out of Kansas and have registered your vehicle in another state, you may be eligible for a refund of the unused portion of property tax. You will need to provide the current tag or plate along with the corresponding decals, the original current year Kansas registration receipt, a completed Former Kansas Resident Refund Form for all owners listed, Social Security numbers for all owners listed, and a copy of driver’s license and vehicle registration in new state per K.S.A. 79-5107(d). If the plate has been lost or stolen, you must obtain a police report. You should mail this documentation to one of the Motor Vehicle offices. Refunds may take up to 30 days to complete.



Registration fees can cost between $39 and $49 per year (prorated to the number of months before you re-register the vehicle). Title fees are $10. The Kansas Highway Patrol charges an inspection fee to inspect vehicles that were previously titled in another state. Please visit www.KansasHighwayPatrol.org for more information.

Sales tax, if applicable, is made up of state, county, and local tax rates. Please view the latest Sales Tax Rates through the Kansas Department of Revenue.

Property tax can be estimated by going to the Property Tax Calculator and entering the owner's last name initial, year, make and model of your vehicle. This is also pro-rated.

Call us at (913) 826-1800 with the plate number or VIN number and we can check the status for you.

Driver's License

  • In Johnson County, driver's license services are provided by the State of Kansas Department of Revenue. The Johnson County Motor Vehicle Offices do not process driver's licenses.
  • Driver's License Examination is responsible for examining everyone applying for Kansas driver's licenses. Driver Control maintains all driver's license records, along with traffic violation convictions, suspensions, and revocations.
  • Additional information can be found on the State's website, including:
    • Change your Kansas Driver's License Address Online
    • Driver's License Handbook and Fee Schedule
    • Driver's License Records, Traffic Violation Convictions, Suspensions, and Revocations
    • Information on Renewing, Extending, or Replacing your Driver's License
  • Mission Office - 6507 Johnson Drive, Mission, KS, 66202 - (913) 432-2266
  • Olathe Office - 13507 S Mur-Len Road #137, Olathe, KS, 66062 - (913) 829-2501
  • Overland Park Office - 7600 W 119th Street, Suite D, Overland Park, KS 66210 - (913) 942-3059

* Call for hours of operation *


A 60-day temporary permit may be obtained at any time within 60 days from the purchase date. Bring in the original title that has been signed over to the buyer and proof of insurance. The application must be made by the purchaser of the vehicle or the purchaser may give someone Power of Attorney to process the transaction on their behalf. The fee for a 60-day temporary tag is $8.00.

If your license plate is lost or stolen from your vehicle, you must file a police report in the city in which the loss occurred. Bring the police report, current registration, and current insurance information to either motor vehicle office to obtain a replacement plate. This must be done by the registered vehicle owner, or the registered owner may give someone Power of Attorney to process this transaction on their behalf. The cost of this transaction is $3.00, or $4.00 if a duplicate registration is needed. Beginning January 1, 2017, an additional fee of $5.00 will be applied to each transaction.

The cost for personalized plates is $45.50 for an Auto/Light Truck or Motorcycle. Anyone can order a personalized plate for a vehicle at either Motor Vehicle location. Remember to bring in your current license plate when ordering a personalized license plate.  You may have up to 7 letters or spaces for an Auto/Light Truck personalized plate and up to 5 letters or spaces for a Motorcycle personalized plate. There is no punctuation allowed on personalized plate lettering.


State law requires that there can be only one letter combination per personalized plate in the state of Kansas. Please go to the Personalized Plate Look-up to check availability.

In Kansas, there are several unique license plate designs available to choose from. This list is available online here, Kansas Distinctive License Plates.


The county mails courtesy renewal notices 30 days prior to your expiration date.

The county generates courtesy notices 30 days before the vehicle’s expiration date, but it is still the citizen's responsibility to renew in a timely manner. Lost or missing reminders occur on occasion. This occurs most often when you have recently moved and the reminder has been sent to a previous address. If you intend on renewing in person, the renewal notice is not necessary, however, you will need proof of insurance, any other applicable paperwork, and the license plate/tag number as well. To obtain a duplicate notice, you may either print your notice online or you may call our Information line at 913-826-1800 to have one mailed to you. Please have the license plate/tag number readily available to expedite the process. If you choose to mail in your renewal, be sure to include any change of address.

If you do not receive your decal in the mail within 10 days from mailing in your payment, contact our office at (913)826-1800 to inquire if the decal may have been returned to our office. If the decal has been returned, give the customer service representative the correct mailing address and the decal will be either sent out again or held in the office if you want to pick it up in person.

If the decal has not been returned, a police report must be filed in the city in which you reside. After filing the police report, bring the report, license plate number of the vehicle, insurance information and $1.50 to either motor vehicle office to obtain a replacement decal. This must be done by the registered owner of the vehicle, or the registered owner may give someone Power of Attorney to process this transaction on their behalf.

To renew your vehicle tag or plate, you are required to pay a State registration renewal fee and personal property tax annually.  To determine the personal property tax due on your vehicle, please visit the Kansas Department of Revenue website.  Beginning January 1, 2015, an additional fee of $5.00 will be applied to each vehicle being renewed in-person.

If you no longer own the vehicle that is listed on your Johnson County vehicle renewal notice, you may simply disregard it.

When you sell a vehicle, you may drop off a copy of your registration, a completed refund form, and your license plate at either of our Motor Vehicle locations. For additional information about refunds, please see our Refund page.

Title Drop Off

Title Drop packets are picked up daily for screening. Once screening is completed, it is forwarded to the processing team. If we require any additional documentation to complete your Title Drop Packet, you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit the additional documentation.

*Please check your spam or junk mail folder for any correspondence from Title Drop Off Service.

It can take 7-14 business days before your registration packet is mailed to you.  Please do not reach out asking for a status update until at least 14 business days since dropping off your application.

Please review the Titles section above for registration fees and accessing the property tax and sales tax calculator. 

You can pay online at jocogov.org/online-bill-pay and select Motor Vehicle Invoice or you can submit a check with the remittance slip located at the bottom of your invoice to Johnson County Motor Vehicle at 6000 Lamar Ave Mission, KS 66202.

No, payments must be made in full at the time you receive the invoice.  Failure to make payment timely could result in flags being placed on your account and/or suspension of your vehicle registration.