Register Your Recently Purchased Vehicle
Motor vehicle registration is required within 60 days of the date the vehicle is purchased, which is the assigned date on the certificate of origin or title. A temporary or 60 day permit must be displayed on the motor vehicle until a permanent plate is received after registering the vehicle. See License Plates and Permits to find out how to obtain a temporary plate.
A valid plate or permit from a sold or traded-in motor vehicle may also be displayed within 60 days of the date the vehicle is purchased. If not registered within 60 days, interest and penalties may apply.
To register a recently purchased vehicle:
1. Gather required documents
|Original Title||We cannot accept a copy of the title. You must have the original title.|
|VIN Inspection from Kansas Highway Patrol||For more information, visit Kansas Highway Patrol Motor Vehicle Enforcement.|
|Proof of insurance||Include a copy of insurance card or supply insurance provider, policy #, and expiration date|
2. Gather additional documents that may apply to you
|Power of Attorney||Required if both owners cannot be present for joint title and registration.|
|Sales Tax Receipts||Required if purchased from a licensed Kansas dealer|
|Bill of Sale||Required only if purchase price and purchase date are not listed on the title, or if purchased from an out of state dealer.|
|Lien Release||Required if the current title shows a lien and you have paid off the loan. For more information, visit our Lien Release page.|
|Certificate of Trust||Required if titling in the trust’s name.|
*This is not an all-inclusive list, and additional documents may be required for specific transactions. Please contact the Motor Vehicle office with questions.
3. Go to a motor vehicle office or use the title drop off service
If you go to a motor vehicle office:
- Secure a place in line with our queueing system: Get in Line
- You will receive a text message notifying you when to head towards the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle Office.
- Please bring required documents.
- Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), check (with valid id), money order or cashier’s check.
- There is a convenience fee charged by the credit card payment processor.
- There will be a $30 service charge for each returned check.
If you use the title drop off service:
- Review the Recently Purchased Vehicle Title Drop Off Service Application and completely fill out the application sections. Gather all required documents as outlined in the application and put all original documents in an envelope addressed to Johnson County Motor Vehicle.
- Take your envelope with all the required documents and place it in one of our convenient and secure drop off boxes located outside of our Motor Vehicle Office front entrances:
- You can also mail envelopes to Johnson County Motor Vehicle at 6000 Lamar Ave, Mission, KS 66202.
Get in Line
Learn how to get in line for service at the counter at the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle offices.
Fees and Payment Information
Payment options and fees for vehicle titles, registrations and plates.
License Plates and Permits
Request 60-Day Permits, 1-Day Inspection Permits, and Specialty, Personalized or Distinctive Plates. Find out how to replace lost or stolen plates and decals.
Motor Vehicle Forms
Find the most commonly used motor vehicle forms.
The State of Kansas requires a VIN inspection for out of state titles. Emissions testing is NOT required.
You cannot register, renew or title your vehicle(s) at the Treasurer's office located in the County Administration Building in Olathe.