Transfer Your Vehicle Registration from Another State
New to Kansas?
Kansas law requires that a vehicle must be registered and display a plate along with the corresponding decals. Registration is required within 90 days of the date of establishing a Kansas domicile or residence, whether owning, renting or leasing.
Once a vehicle is registered, the owner is responsible for the annual renewals prior to expiration.
To transfer a registration from another state:
1. Gather required documents
|Original Title||We cannot accept a copy of the title. Your lienholder or previous state must provide you with the original title or mail it directly to Johnson County Motor Vehicle at 782 N. Ridgeview Rd, Olathe, KS 66261.|
|VIN Inspection from Kansas Highway Patrol||For more information, visit Kansas Highway Patrol Motor Vehicle Enforcement.|
|Proof of insurance||Include a copy of insurance card or supply insurance provider, policy #, and expiration date.|
2. Gather additional documents that may apply to you
|Power of Attorney||Required if both owners cannot be present for joint title and registration.|
|Sales Tax Receipt||Required if purchased from a licensed Kansas dealer|
|Bill of Sale||
Required only if purchase price and purchase date are not listed on the title, or if purchased from an out of state dealer.
Required if the current title shows a lien and you have paid off the loan. For more information, visit our Lien Release page.
|Certificate of Trust||Required if titling in the trust’s name .|
*This is not an all-inclusive list, and additional documents may be required for specific transactions. Please contact the Motor Vehicle office with questions.
3. Go to a motor vehicle office
If you go to a motor vehicle office:
- Secure a place in line with our queueing system:Get In Line
- You will receive a text message notifying you when to head towards the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle Office.
- Please bring the required documents.
- Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), check (with valid id), money order or cashier’s check.
- There is a convenience fee charged by the credit card payment processor.
- There will be a $30 service charge for each returned check.
Get in Line
Learn how to get in line for service at the counter at the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle offices.
Fees and Payment Information
Payment options and fees for vehicle titles, registrations and plates.
Motor Vehicle Forms
Find the most commonly used motor vehicle forms.
The State of Kansas requires a VIN inspection for out of state titles. Emissions testing is NOT required.
Mission Motor Vehicle Office
Olathe Motor Vehicle Office
You cannot register, renew or title your vehicle(s) at the Treasurer's office located in the County Administration Building in Olathe.