Transfer Your Vehicle Registration from Another State

New to Kansas?

car with moving trailer in residential neighborhood

Kansas law requires that a vehicle must be registered and display a plate along with the corresponding decals. Registration is required within 90 days of the date of establishing a Kansas domicile or residence, whether owning, renting or leasing.

Once a vehicle is registered, the owner is responsible for the annual renewals prior to expiration. 

To transfer a registration from another state:

1. Gather required documents

Document Notes
Original Title We cannot accept a copy of the title. Your lienholder or previous state must provide you with the original title or mail it directly to Johnson County Motor Vehicle at 782 N. Ridgeview Rd, Olathe, KS 66261.
VIN Inspection from Kansas Highway Patrol For more information, visit Kansas Highway Patrol Motor Vehicle Enforcement.
Proof of insurance Include a copy of insurance card or supply insurance provider, policy #, and expiration date.

2. Gather additional documents that may apply to you

Document Requirements
Power of Attorney Required if both owners cannot be present for joint title and registration.
Sales Tax Receipt Required if purchased from a licensed Kansas dealer
Bill of Sale

Required only if purchase price and purchase date are not listed on the title, or if purchased from an out of state dealer.

Lien Release

Required if the current title shows a lien and you have paid off the loan. For more information, visit our Lien Release page.

Certificate of Trust Required if titling in the trust’s name .

*This is not an all-inclusive list, and additional documents may be required for specific transactions. Please contact the Motor Vehicle office with questions.

3. Go to a motor vehicle office

If you go to a motor vehicle office:

  • Secure a place in line with our queueing system:Get In Line
  • You will receive a text message notifying you when to head towards the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle Office.
  • Please bring the required documents.
  • Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), check (with valid id), money order or cashier’s check.
    • There is a convenience fee charged by the credit card payment processor.
    • There will be a $30 service charge for each returned check.

Helpful Resources

Get in Line
Learn how to get in line for service at the counter at the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle offices.

Fees and Payment Information
Payment options and fees for vehicle titles, registrations and plates.

Motor Vehicle Forms
Find the most commonly used motor vehicle forms.

VIN Inspections
The State of Kansas requires a VIN inspection for out of state titles. Emissions testing is NOT required. 

Mission Motor Vehicle Office
Olathe Motor Vehicle Office

You cannot register, renew or title your vehicle(s) at the Treasurer's office located in the County Administration Building in Olathe.