Renew Your Vehicle Registration

opening glove box in vehicle

Kansas Law requires motor vehicle registration to be renewed each year with a license plate displaying the current year’s decal.

Motor vehicles cannot be legally operated without a current registration.

To renew your vehicle registration, you must pay registration fees and personal property taxes each year. In return, you will receive a current year’s decal to be placed on your plate.

When to Renew

You should receive a courtesy notice about 30 days before the vehicle registration expires. You can also view your renewal notice online.

The renewal schedule, below, is based on the first letter of the registered vehicle owner’s last name. 

Renewal Schedule

Last name starts with Last day to renew
               A Feb 28
               B Mar 31
          C, D Apr 30
      E, F, G May 31
          H, I Jun 30
      J, K, L Jul 31
    M, N, O Aug 31
     P, Q, R Sep 30
              S Oct 31
     T, V, W Nov 30
 U, X, Y, Z Dec 31

How to Renew

Renew online

To renew online: 

  • Go to   
  • Pay by eCheck or by credit card. There is a convenience fee charged by the payment processor. 
  • Requires a PIN number located on your on your vehicle registration renewal notice. 
  • Remember to save your confirmation number. 
  • Allow 5 to 7 business days to receive your registration receipt and decal by mail.  

Some registrations may not qualify for electronic renewal. 

Renew by mail

To renew by mail: 

  • Pay by check, money order or cashier’s check. Please do not send cash in the mail. There will be a $30 service charge for each returned check.
  • You may write one check if renewing multiple vehicles. 
  • Include valid proof of insurance for each vehicle. 
  • Allow 5 to 7 business days to receive your registration receipt and decal by mail. 
  • Include renewal stub, payment and proof of insurance in the envelope provided with your renewal notice and mail to: 
         Johnson County Motor Vehicle
         PO Box 29192
         Shawnee Mission, KS 66201

Renew using a self-service kiosk

To renew by self-service kiosk: 

  • Go to a self-service kiosk located at either the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle office.  The kiosks are available from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm to walk-in customers. You do not have to secure a place in line using our queueing system.  
  • Please bring your license plate number and zip code or renewal notice to access your account.      
    • Pay by cash, check or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). 
    • There is a convenience fee charged by the credit card payment processor. 
    • There will be a $30 service charge for each returned check. 
  • Allow 5 to 7 business days to receive your registration receipt and decal by mail. 

Renew in person at the front counter

To renew at the front counter: 

The best way to renew is online, by mail or self-service kiosk. However, if you need to renew at the front counter in-person, the best time is in the middle of the week and during the middle of the month. Customer volume is lower in the middle of the month due to renewal schedules. Nearing month end, wait times may exceed several hours.   

  • Secure a place in our queueing system by clicking on the following link Get In Line
  • You will receive a text message notifying you when to head towards the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle Office.    
  • Please bring valid proof of insurance for each vehicle. 
  • Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), check (with valid id), money order or cashier’s check.
    • There is a convenience fee charged by the payment processor. 
    • There will be a $30 service charge for each returned check. 
    • There is an additional $5 fee per vehicle to renew at the front counter.

Kansas law requires...

that each vehicle must carry a valid insurance card from a Kansas agent as proof of insurance. The insurance card must show the name of insurer, name of insured party, policy number, effective date, an expiration date that is greater than current date, vehicle description and vehicle identification number or VIN.


Kansas law requires that you carry “Kansas no-fault liability insurance” on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle so that, in case of an accident, the other vehicle and its passengers are protected.

Frequent Questions

What does it cost to renew my vehicle?

To renew your vehicle plate, you are required to pay a State registration renewal fee and personal property tax annually. 

  • Registration fees can cost between $39 and $49 per year.
  • Property tax can be estimated by going to the state's Property Tax Calculator and entering the owner's last name initial, year, make and model of the vehicle.
  • An additional fee of $5.00 will be applied to each vehicle being renewed in-person.

When should I receive a renewal notice?

The county mails courtesy renewal notices 30 days prior to your expiration date.

What if I do not receive a renewal notice?

The county generates courtesy notices 30 days before the vehicle’s expiration date, but it is still your responsibility to renew in a timely manner. Lost or missing reminders occur most often when you have recently moved and the reminder has been sent to a previous address.

If you intend to renew in person, the renewal notice is not necessary; however, you will need proof of insurance, any other applicable paperwork, and the license plate number.

To obtain a duplicate notice, you may either print your notice online.

If you choose to mail in your renewal, be sure to include any change of address.

What if I receive a renewal notice for a vehicle I no longer own?

If you no longer own the vehicle that is listed on your Johnson County vehicle renewal notice, you may simply disregard it.

When you sell a vehicle, you may drop off a copy of your registration, a completed refund form, and your license plate at either the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle location. For additional information about refunds, please see our Refunds page.

What if my decal is lost in the mail?

If you do not receive your decal in the mail within 10 days from mailing in your payment, contact our office at 913-826-1800 to inquire if the decal may have been returned to our office. If the decal has been returned, give the customer service representative the correct mailing address and the decal will be either sent out again or held in the office if you want to pick it up in person.

If the decal has been stolen, a police report may need to be filed in the city you reside. Check with the local police department to confirm their process. Bring the license plate number of the vehicle, insurance information, police report (if required) and $1.50 to either motor vehicle office to obtain a replacement decal. This must be done by the registered owner of the vehicle, or the registered owner may give someone Power of Attorney to process this transaction on their behalf.

Helpful Resources

Get in Line
Learn how to get in line for service at the counter at the Mission or Olathe Motor Vehicle offices.

Fees and Payment Options
Payment options and fees for vehicle titles, registrations and plates.

License Plates and Permits
Request 60-Day Permits, 1-Day Inspection Permits, and Specialty, Personalized or Distinctive Plates. Find out how to replace lost or stolen plate and decals. 

Motor Vehicle Forms
Find the most commonly used motor vehicle forms. 

Mission Motor Vehicle Office
Olathe Motor Vehicle Office

You cannot register, renew or title your vehicle(s) at the Treasurer's office located in the County Administration Building in Olathe.