1. Search Address
Before you create an application, make sure the address for your project is in the ‘unincorporated’ Johnson County area. Enter an address or KUPN number in the location search box provided. If the address returns with ‘Unincorporated Area’ then you can proceed with the permit application process. If your search returns with a ‘City’ name, then use the contact information provide to contact your city planning department.
2. Application Process
Before You Apply
Have you spoken to a Planner and scheduled a Development Review Committee Pre-Application Meeting? Download the Guidebook, review and completing the Questionnaire, call and speak to the Planner on Duty, 913-715-2209 to set up a meeting.
How to Apply
Note: All application material shall be submitted at least 45 days before a scheduled public hearing. Omission of any of the following items may delay the review and processing of the application.
- A complete application form.
- Legal Description and common street address of the property.
- Payment of filing fee. Make check payable to Johnson County Planning Department.
- Owner Authorization if not the legal owner of the property
- A list of the owners of all properties within 1,000 feet of the subject property certified by a licensed abstractor, title company, or similarly qualified person.
- Ownership list and Legal Description Certification form
- Site Development Plan (12 copies)
- A Site Plan Checklist form
- Post a sign (supplied by the Planning Department) twenty (20) days before the scheduled Public Hearing. Complete Certification of Notification of Sign Posting form
- A written narrative description. See Article 33.
- Applicant or applicant’s representative MUST attend the Zoning Board Hearing.
Articles to Reference
- Article 4 – Application Procedures
- Article 11 – Planned Zoning District General Requirements
- Article 15 – Development Plan Procedures
- Article 17 – Supplementary Height, Area, and Bulk Regulations
- Article 33 – Special Permits
Planning Department Procedures
- Public Hearing: The Planning Department will schedule a hearing before the appropriate Zoning Board, which is responsible for hearing the Special Use Permit request.
- Posting of Sign: The Planning Department will supply the applicant with a sign to be posted on the property within 20 days prior to the date of public hearing.
- Newspaper Publication: The Planning Department will publish the Legal notice of the public hearing 20 days prior to the date of public hearing.
- Letter of Notification: The Planning Department will mail notices of the public hearing, by certified mail, to all property owners within 1,000 feet (list provided by applicant) of the subject property at least 10 days prior to the Public Hearing. (The applicant shall pay the certified mailing cost.)
- Protest Period: After the Zoning Board has made a recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC), a 14-day protest period begins which allows owners of nearby properties the opportunity to file with the County Clerk a petition protesting the application.
- Board of County Commissioners (BOCC): After the protest period has concluded, the application will be brought before the BOCC for final action. If the BOCC disagrees with the recommendation of the Zoning Board, the application must be returned at least once to the Zoning Board for reconsideration before the BOCC takes final action.