Board of Zoning Appeals
The Board of Zoning Appeals assists in reviewing cases of individuals requesting variances from zoning regulations. After hearing each case, the zoning appeals board submits recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners, who are responsible for making the final judgement on each request. Follow these steps to appeal a zoning matter.
Before You Apply
How to Apply
Note: All application material shall be submitted at least 45 days before a scheduled public hearing. Omission of any of the following items may delay the review and processing of the application.
- A complete application form
- Legal Description and common street address of the property.
- Payment of filing fee. Make checks payable to Johnson County Planning Department.
- Letter of Authorization if not the legal owner of the property
- A list of the owners of all properties within 1,000 feet of the subject property certified by a licensed abstractor, title company, or similarly qualified person.
- Ownership List and Legal Description Certification form
- A map or plat showing the location and record owner of each property adjoining the property in question.
- Post a sign (supplied by the Planning Department) twenty (20) days before the scheduled Public Hearing. Complete Certification of Notification of Sign Posting form
- A narrative statement of the grounds offered in support for the variance, or appeal including the necessary hardship that will be imposed upon the applicant if the regulations are literally enforced.
- Applicant or applicant’s representative MUST attend the Zoning Board Hearing.
Articles to Reference
Planning Department Procedures
- Public Hearing: The Planning Department will schedule a hearing before the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA), which is responsible for hearing an appeal or variance request.
- Posting of Sign: The Planning Department will supply the applicant with a sign to be posted on the property 20 days prior to the date of public hearing.
- Newspaper Publication: The Planning Department will publish the Legal Notice of the Public Hearing 15 days prior to the date of public hearing.
- Letter of Notification: The Planning Department will mail notices of the public hearing, by certified mail, to all property owners within 1,000 feet (list provided by applicant) of the subject property at least 10 days prior to the Public Hearing. (The applicant shall pay the certified mailing cost.)
- Board of County Commissioners (BOCC): The recommendation of the BZA shall be forwarded to the Board of County Commissioners within 10 days of the decision. The BOCC shall, within two weeks after receipt thereof, call for a public hearing before the BOCC for the purpose of review and reconsideration of such decision, or take no action. The public hearing before the BOCC shall be called and conducted by following the same notice and procedure requirements specified in Article 3 for public hearings on matters before the BZA