Hazardous Materials

New facility coming in June 2023

A new Household Hazardous Waste drop-off facility is under construction , to replace the existing facility in Mission off I-35 and Lamar. The new facility will be located in Overland Park off College Boulevard and Mastin Street, tentatively set to open in June.


Learn more about the new Household Hazardous Waste Facility.

A pile of trash on the side of a rural road

Johnson County residents can safely dispose of their old or unwanted paint, stain, yard chemicals and other household hazardous waste by appointment only at the Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste facility. Recycled latex paint is available for purchase through the Re-Blended paint program, and residents can also find usable items in the Free Store.

By Appointment Only:

Schedule or modify an appointment now


Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday from 8 a.m.–3 p.m. (closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.) This is for all drop-off appointments, free store and purchasing paint.

Important things to note:

  • Saturday collection event on Saturday, March 11 from 8-11:30 a.m., by appointment only. Other events will tentatively occur the second Saturday of July-October.
  • No appointment needed for free store or purchasing paint during regular listed hours.
  • Gates will not be opened until 8 a.m.
  • Mobile pickup is available to home-bound residents. Call 913-715-6907 for more information.


The new Household Hazardous Waste facility will be located at: 11231 Mastin St. Overland Park 66210

The new location will be open in June, an exact opening date will be announced once the facility is complete. For questions please contact Trent Thompson 913-715-6938

Changes to accepted items

Due to issues with disposing of these items we are no longer be accepting the following items:

  • Compressed gas cylinders (oxygen, helium, carbon dioxide, and propane tanks/cylinders will still be accepted)
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Large Freon cylinders (empty cylinders will still be accepted)

If you have questions about these items please call 913-715-6907.

You can find additional recycling options for these items at recyclespot.org or MRC Recycling.

Olathe Location

The City of Olathe operates a collection facility that currently accepts items from all Johnson County residents. This may be a more convenient option if you live in southern Johnson County. Go to City of Olathe Household Hazardous Collection Facility to learn more. Several other surrounding counties offer Household Hazardous Waste collection. RecycleSpot has information on other area programs.

Electronic Recycling

The Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste facility doesn't accept electronics. Secure E-Cycle is located nearby (3054 S 24th St.) and will accept a wide range of electronics for recycling. Charges may apply for certain items. Other electronic recycling options can be found on our electronic recycling page.