What is household hazardous waste?
"DANGER! CAUTION! WARNING! POISON!"
If a product's label has any of these signal words, then the product has ingredients that contain one or more of the following hazardous characteristics: corrosive, reactive, toxic, flammable or explosive. If not safely stored, used or disposed, the product can present hazards to you and your environment. A full list of materials that we accept is listed below.
Items No Longer Accepted
Due to issues with disposing of these items we are NOT accepting the following items:
- Compressed gas cylinders- except those listed on the accepted list below
- Fire Extinguishers
- Large Freon cylinders (empty cylinders will still be accepted)
- Tires- can go to ABC Tire Recycling, check with tire shops like Discount, charges may apply
If you have questions about these items please call 913-715-6907.
Common Materials Accepted
- Arts and crafts materials
- Automotive fluids i.e. brake fluid, antifreeze, etc. (Do not bulk fluids together)
- Batteries (lead-acid, rechargeable, alkaline)
- Cleaning products
- Cooking oil
- Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes (Pack separate from other items to avoid breaking)
- Gasoline (Do not mix with other automotive fluids other than two-cycle oil)
- Lawn and garden chemicals
- Motor oil - limit five gallons per month (NO TRANSFORMER OIL)
- Oxygen, helium, carbon dioxide, and propane tanks/cylinders
- Paint (latex and oil based)
- Photo chemicals
- Pool chemicals
- Solvents, i.e. paint thinner, acetone, kerosene
- Wood preservatives
- 1-3 lb. propane cylinders
For Items Not on the Accepted List
If you don't see an item on the approved list, then it is probably not accepted at our facility. Other recycling and disposal options can be found at RecycleSpot.