What Happens to Waste

A lot of stuff is brought to our facility. Some of it is offered free to the public through our product redistribution program. Other items are disposed of through various environmentally responsible means.

Complete list of accepted items

Latex Paint

Latex paint is not hazardous, but is the most common product received at our site. Good paint is used in our latex paint recycling program, and is available for purchase through the Re-blended Paint Program. Latex paint can also be solidified with clay-type kitty litter and thrown in the trash. Empty paint cans can also go in your regular trash.

Oil-based Paint, Solvents, Stains, Thinners

Bulked flammable liquids are reused as a fuel in cement kilns.


Lead Acid (vehicle) batteries, rechargeable, and alkaline batteries are all sent off for recycling. Other battery recycling options can be found at Recyclespot,

Poisons, Corrosives and Aerosols

Materials that are dropped off at the HHW site are separated into their hazardous class. Material is picked up by a hazardous waste contractor. Poisons (pesticides, insecticides, etc.) are disposed of by incineration. Corrosives (acids, bases, cleaners, etc.) are neutralized. Aerosols (spray paint, aerosol cans) are bulked into cubic yard boxes and sent off for recycling. Usable aerosols and certain other household chemicals are available for residents to take through the FREE Store


Tires are recycled through a local tire collection service for reuse or energy recovery.

Used Oil

Used oil is reprocessed by a local oil recycling company. Other oil recycling options can be found at Recyclespot.

Non-hazardous Materials

Examples of non-hazardous materials are caulk tubes, cement, solidified adhesives, glues, crack sealers and latex paint, rock salt, solid bacterial and enzyme drain cleaners, and some cleaning products such as laundry and dishwashing detergent. Some of these products are available for use through the FREE Store. Many of these materials are disposed through our regular trash contractor.