Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact JCDS?

Call 913-826-2626 for information or email JCD-INFO.

What is an IDD?

IDD means Intellectual and Developmental Disability.

An intellectual disability is defined as: a substantial limitation in present functioning; manifests during the period from birth to 18 years of age; is characterized by significantly sub-average intellectual functioning existing concurrently with deficits in adaptive behavior including related limits in two or more of the following applicable adaptive skill areas:

  • Communication
  • Community Use
  • Self-care
  • Self-direction
  • Home living
  • Health and safety
  • Social skills
  • Functional academics
  • Leisure
  • Work

A developmental disability is defined as: a severe chronic physical and mental impairment or a condition which has received a dual diagnosis of intellectual disability and mental illness; is attributable to a mental or physical impairment or a combination of physical and mental impairments; manifests before the age of 22, is likely to continue indefinitely; reflects a need for a combination and sequence of special, interdisciplinary or generic care, treatment or other services, which are life-long, or extend in duration and are individually planned and coordinated, and results in substantial functional limitations in three or more of the following areas of life functioning; and:

  • Self-care
  • Self-direction in setting goals and undertaking activities to accomplish those goals
  • Understanding and use of language
  • Living independently
  • Learning and adapting
  • Economic self-sufficiency
  • Mobility

What types of services does JCDS provide?

JCDS offers many services to support individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. These services include Day and EmploymentResidential and Case Management Services.

Does JCDS only provide services to individuals who live in Johnson County?

Yes, the individual applying for or receiving services must be a resident of Johnson County, Kansas.

Is there a waiting list for JCDS Day or Residential Services?

Yes. The majority of individuals who want these community services use Medicaid dollars as their funding source. Kansas legislators are responsible to allocate funding. The state has underfunded the community developmental disability system for many years, and the number of individuals on the waiting list grows accordingly. 

What does CDDO mean?

CDDO means Community Developmental Disabilities Organization. The Johnson County CDDO is responsible for providing a single point of entry for people seeking Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) services in Johnson County.

What is the role of the CDDO?

The CDDO is the single point of entry in Johnson County, for those seeking developmental disability services. The CDDO determines eligibility, assists individuals and their families or guardians in choosing services and providers, coordinates a network of affiliate providers and performs quality assurance reviews on affiliate providers.

How do I apply for a job at JCDS?

JCDS is an agency of Johnson County Government. To view job postings and complete an application, visit the HR website.

Can I volunteer with JCDS?

Yes! We are always looking for volunteers. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old and may be subject to a background check. Learn how to get involved.

How will we know of program or facility closures?

JCDS is a 24/7 operation and residential facilities do not close.  However, the Mark D. Elmore Center may close due to inclement weather or other health and safety issues, such as a pandemic.  If it is necessary to close the center, the public will be notified via local television stations and also through our Facebook page.  For any specific program closures, staff will notify those individuals affected.