The Johnson County Developmental Supports (JCDS) Governing Board was established in 1971 by the Johnson County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC), pursuant to Section 19-4001, Kansas Statutes Annotated, for the purpose of providing intellectual and developmental disabilities services to the residents of Johnson County, Kansas.
JCDS is guided by a seven-member Governing Board who are appointed to three-year terms by the BOCC. The board governs under the administrative, financial, and other operational policies adopted by the BOCC.
The JCDS Governing Board meets on a monthly basis, generally excluding the months of July and December. For specific dates, times, and locations, contact the Senior Executive Assistant, Shelly Toft at 913-826-2641 or email [email protected], as these are subject to change.
Persons who may need assistance, the use of sign language or oral interpreter, or who require special accommodations, should contact 913-826-2641 at least two weeks prior to the meeting.
Current Governing Board Members
|Chairperson||District 1||Kyle Russell||08/31/2023|
|Vice-Chairperson||District 2||Debbie Scott Williams||08/31/2022|
|Treasurer||District 4||Rick Marien||08/31/2021|
|Secretary||District 7||Gayle Richardson||08/31/2022|
|Member||District 3||Michael Hughes||08/31/2023|
|Member||District 6||Dale Chaffin||08/31/2023|
|Member||District 5||Aderonke "Kiki" Oyetunji||08/31/2023|
Interested in Serving on the Board?
Those interested in serving on the board are expected to support and actively promote the mission and vision of the agency. A position on the board will be a very rewarding experience for those individuals seeking to make a difference in the lives of the most vulnerable citizens in our community. Board members will be appointed by the Johnson County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) and have a responsibility to the public, the BOCC, the citizens with intellectual and developmental disabilities, their families and/or guardians.
Board members shall be responsible for:
- Establishing policies for the operation of the agency.
- Annually reporting on services to the BOCC.
- Preparing strategic plans and budgets within county and state requirements.
- Hire, support, and evaluate the agency’s Executive Director.
- Provide oversight of operations of the agency.
- Promote the agency and its programs in fundraising and other activities.
A board member must comply with:
- All Conflict of Interest policies and procedures; exercising the utmost good faith in performing their duties with no expectation of financial or other profit from the relationship.
- Policies and procedures relative to specific agency and employee requirements.
- Policies and procedures restricting involvement with the agency’s clientele and family except as specified.
- Policies restricting media communications relative to the agency, the county, and the individuals and their families served.
- Attendance regulations to board and special called meetings and other events as necessary.
Meetings & COVID-19
At this time, due to CoVid concerns, JCDS will be using Zoom, an online meeting tool, to conduct meetings. We will be prudent with our agenda, deferring action when feasible and we will not be accepting public comments during the meeting. If you have information, comments, or questions related to an item on the agenda, we encourage you to submit that information in writing to [email protected].
To comply with K.A.R. 16-20-1 concerning open meetings, if you wish to attend a board meeting via Zoom, please contact Shelly Toft via email by noon on the day prior to the published meeting date to receive connection information. You will receive a Zoom link, including phone number options to call in, with a meeting ID and password to join the meeting electronically. Your login will be held in an electronic meeting room until verification of your request. If verified you will be connected to the meeting. You will be muted during the meeting. Please allow time to set up the application on your computer or phone and have any ID, passwords, or phone numbers you intend to use at the ready. Thank you. Stay Safe.