Building Permits

contractor others walking

Choose a project type below to see what the building permit requirements are.

If you are unsure of what type of permit you may need, feel free to call 913-715-2200 or send us an email to

Frequent Questions

What do I need to submit to obtain a Building Permit?

Use the icon list above to select the type of permit you require. You will find a check list on the permit requirements page.

How long does it take to get a permit?

Residential permits take approximately 7 to 10 business days and commercial approximately 10 to 14 business days. Please allow staff a few more days during the current COVID pandemic.

What are the fees for a permit?

You can calculate your own or call for the fee amount, 913-715-2200. When do I pay? Residential permits, fees are due when your permit is issued, not submitted.

For commercial permits, fees are due upon submittal and the balance or permit fee is due when the permit is issued.

Method of payment: check (payable to: Johnson County Building Codes), ACH, or credit card (there will be a 2.4% service fee assessed to all transactions), American Express is not accepted. 

How do I know if I need a permit?

View the 'Exemptions' tab for the specific permit you require. All decks, roofs and new structures require a permit. A permit is required to enlarge, alter, repair, move or demolish.

A permit is required to repair, remove, convert, or replace electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing. This includes repairs to decks or replacing siding and windows.

Do I need a permit to build a detached building?

For residential purpose, any structure with floor area exceeding 200 sq.' requires a permit. For commercial purpose, any structure with floor area exceeding 120 sq.' requires a permit. Any structure regardless of size has setback requirements, contact the Planning Department, 913-715-2200 or by email.

Do I need a permit for re-siding my home and/ or window replacement?

Yes a permit is required for both. 

Do I need a Building Permit to fence my yard?

A building permit for residential or commercial properties is not needed unless the fence is over 7' in height. For any fencing under 7' you will need to contact the Planning Department, 913-715-2200, for details pertaining to your area.

How long is a Building Permit good for?

Six months from the issue date and remains valid as long as there is an inspection within 6 months. If a permit expires, there may be an additional fee due to renew it.

If a permit expires and the required inspections are not performed within 6 months of the issue date, it may result in a citation being issued. It is the responsibility of the General Contractor to ensure a project is final and the permit is closed, unless work was performed by the Homeowner.

Why can't homeowners pull permits on rental property?

In order to receive an exemption to the Johnson County Contractor Licensing Regulations, which requires the use of a licensed contractor to do the work, the residence MUST be for the use and occupancy of the homeowner only. It may not be built for sale or lease.

Note: All commercial projects must have a licensed General Contractor and licensed Subs listed, the owner cannot do the work.

Can I fax my permit application?

As of January 1, 2020 all permits must be submitted online. Please see this Instructional Guide to assist you with registration and application on MyGovernmentOnline.