In-home services provide support for older adults who need services to maintain independent living.
For more information, email an information specialist or call 913-715-8861 or 1-888-214-4404.
In-home services available:
- Attendant Care – Attendant care provides supervision or assistance with bathing, hair washing, shaving, dressing, toileting, medication, eating or transferring, usually for an hour two to three times per week.
- Chore – Chore services help with heavy housework, usually for four hours once annually.
- Homemaker – Homemaker services Include light housekeeping, laundry and shopping for a couple hours every week or two.
- Home-Delivered Meals – Meals are delivered to homebound seniors five days a week before noon. Homebound means not driving and not able to get out of the home without assistance due to sickness, health issues, or diagnosed social anxiety conditions.
- Medication Management – Nurses visit private homes weekly to set up medications and monitor their use.
- Personal Emergency Response Monitoring – Seniors will get an alert system, usually a bracelet or pendant they wear with a button to let their emergency contact or 911 know they need help in an emergency.
- Respite Care – An in-home substitute caregiver can provide temporary relief of caregiving responsibilities for non-paid primary caregivers. Usually provided for four hours once a week.
The AAA contracts with home health agencies to provide some services it does not provide directly such as homemaking, attendant care, chore or medication management and respite care services. The AAA provides the assessment and the Home-Delivered Meals program.
Assessments determine eligibility
Older adults must be functionally and financially eligible for most in-home services, although there is no financial eligibility requirement for home-delivered meals. When services are requested, an assessment is completed to determine if service needs can be met by services provided by the AAA, or if a referral to other community-based service providers is appropriate.
In-home services may be on a sliding scale fee based on income. There is no charge for the assessment.
Home-delivered meals are provided to homebound seniors and their spouses of any age for a suggested donation regardless of income.
Donation letters and bills are sent at the end of each month.
Explore Your Options Directory
The EYO Directory is a guide to resources and services in Johnson County with bookmarks, hyperlinks and special features for adults 60 and older.