The Area Agency on Aging sponsors services to educate, counsel and advise caregivers and help them deal with the physical and emotional stresses of caregiving. Other services provide direct care for the older adults to assist the caregiver or give the caregiver a much needed break.
Caregiver services include:
- Caregiver Assessment – a free in-home meeting to review the caregiving situation, determine needs, support the caregiving role and develop a plan of services.
- Caregiver Counseling – identification of caregiving concerns and approaches to resolving those concerns.
- In-Home Services – attendant care or bath aide, housekeeping and chore service, or weekly medication management for the older adult who is the focus of caregiving.
- Respite Care – temporary relief of caregiving responsibilities for primary caregivers, usually for four hours once a week.
Some Family Caregiver Support Initiative services are provided free of charge. Other services are available on a sliding scale or donation basis.
Trualta E-Learning and Print Resources for Caregivers
The Johnson County Area Agency on Aging offers a personalized innovative eLearning program for family caregivers of loved ones with dementia – part of a national program created by Trualta. It features skill-based training delivered through an online learning system and printed booklets.
- Personal care (e.g., tips for showering, toileting)
- Dementia care (managing difficult situations like wandering, agitation, apathy)
- Safety and injury prevention (identifying fall risks, safely moving and transferring)
- Caregiver wellness (e.g., balancing work and caregiving)
- Insights from dementia expert Teepa Snow
Caregiver Assistance Newsletter
Request your free monthly newsletter for caregivers by calling 913-715-8860. See the current issues:
- Feb 2022 Caregiver News
- March 2022 Caregiver News
- April 2022 Caregiver News
- May 2022 Caregiver News
- June 2022 Caregiver News
- July 2022 Caregiver News
Johnson County strives to make these documents accessible for people with disabilities. If you experience any difficulty accessing the content included here, please contact [email protected] for assistance.
Explore Your Options Directory
The EYO Directory is a guide to resources and services in Johnson County with bookmarks, hyperlinks and special features for adults 60 and older.