Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Treasury and Financial Management

Real Estate: Frequent Questions

General Questions

  • Homeowners should receive their real estate and personal property tax statements for the current year by the middle part of November.
  • If only the first half of the current year taxes are paid in December, the second half tax statements are mailed out in April.
  • If the full amount was paid in December the taxpayer should not receive a second half statement.

If the homeowner is to receive a statement but does not by the end of November or the middle of April, please contact the Johnson County Treasurer's office at (913) 715-2600 so we can send a duplicate statement and verify billing information.

If a homeowner has an escrow account for their real estate taxes with a mortgage company, the mortgage company should receive the tax statement. If, however, the homeowner does receive the tax statement instead of the mortgage company we ask the homeowner to forward it to their mortgage company so they can pay taxes from the escrow account. We also ask the homeowner to have their current mortgage company notify the Johnson County Treasurer's office so we can get the correct billing information from them.

Please see our Tax Calculation page for this information.

In 2019, the interest rate is 11% annually for delinquent real estate taxes less than $10,000 and 15% per annum will be added on delinquent real estate taxes exceeding $10,000.  The interest rate is 6% annually for delinquent personal property taxes less than $10,000 and 10% per annum will be added on delinquent personal property taxes exceeding $10,000.

Yes. You can fill out and submit an address change form online for either your real estate or personal property account. The form will be sent to the appropriate county office for completion. The Treasurer's Office collects address changes, but does not process them. You may continue to receive mail at the old address until the change is complete in our systems.

No. You have to go to one of the Motor Vehicle offices at 6000 Lamar in Mission, or 782 N Ridgeview Road in Olathe.

Please note that the 'SCH CAPITAL OUTLAY' taxes levied by your local school district showed in 2018 as a separate taxing authority record on your tax statement due to new legislation, KSA 72-53,127 and was for temporary display and reporting purposes only.  In 2019, these funds resumed being included in the 'UNIFIED' taxing authority associated with your school district.  For more details on current year and prior year levies, please view the Mill Levies by Taxing Authority reports found on the Records and Tax Administration website.

Real Estate

  • If the homeowner is responsible for paying taxes on a home or other real estate property, the full amount or the half amount can be paid on or before December 20th of that tax year. If the first half is paid, the second half of that year's taxes are due on or before May 10th of the following year.
  • Mortgage Companies will typically make half payments, so they will be paying taxes on or before December 20th and on or before May 10th.
  • If the first half of the current year real estate taxes are not paid by December 20th, interest will start accruing December 21st. Homeowners should receive a delinquent real estate tax reminder late January to early February.
  • If the mortgage company was to have paid these taxes, the homeowner must inform them that the Johnson County Treasurer's Office did not receive the payment. If there are any questions, the mortgage company needs to call the Treasurer's office.
  • The homeowner or the mortgage company can pay the first half of the current year taxes with interest up until May 10th. After May 10th, if the first half of the real estate tax has not been paid, the full amount of the current year tax plus interest will become due. If the current year tax has not been paid on or before July 31st, then there will be an additional fee of $15.00 for advertising. Johnson County is required by Kansas State law (KSA 79-2303) to publish a list of unpaid real estate taxes. If taxes go unpaid by the first Tuesday in September then taxes will be put on the delinquent tax roll, and it becomes a lien on the real estate.
  • If one wants to pay delinquent years, Kansas State Law (KSA 79-2401A) requires that the most current delinquent year be paid first.
    • Example: If a homeowner has taxes owing for 2004, 2005, and 2006, then the full amount for 2006 must be paid before payment for the 2005, etc., or the homeowner can pay all the delinquent years at once.

Real estate property taxes three years delinquent are subject to a Tax Foreclosure auction and public sale.

Personal Property

The first half of the personal property taxes are due on or before December 20th. If the taxpayer pays the first half of the personal property taxes in December, the second half is due on or before May 10th of the following year.

  • If the first half of the personal property taxes are not paid by December 20th, the full tax amount plus interest becomes due starting December 21st. Delinquent notices for personal property are sent out the middle of February. If they are not paid, then warrants are issued. Warrants are issued 30 days after notices are mailed. Tax warrants go to the Johnson County Sheriff Delinquent Personal Property Tax Division for collection of delinquent taxes, interest and sheriff fees. Payments are payable to the Johnson County Treasurer.
  • If the taxpayer paid the first half of their personal property on time, the second half of the personal property taxes are due on or before May 10th. If these taxes are not paid by May 10th, interest will begin to accrue.
  • Delinquent personal property tax notices are mailed in June. If they are not paid, tax warrants are issued by the 15th of July. All warrants must be paid at the Johnson County Treasurer's Office.
  • Kansas State Law (KSA 19-547) requires delinquent personal property to be advertised in October and a publication fee of $15 will be assessed.
  • KSA 79-2017: Failure to receive any such tax notice shall not relieve such person, firm or company from any interest and cost.

General Payment Questions

  • You may pay your taxes at the Treasurer's office located at:
    • Johnson County Administration Building
      111 South Cherry Street, Suite 1500
      Olathe, KS 66061
  • You can also pay your taxes online with a credit card or an eCheck.

No. Depending on the time of year, a taxpayer can only make a half or full payment.

For real estate, personal property, warrant tax statements and reminders, make checks payable to Johnson County Treasurer. Please write your bill number on your check.

No. When you are paying your taxes online, you must make your full payment on one credit card or on one checking account. These payments cannot be split.

The Johnson County Treasurer's office uses the option of credit card payments as an optional service to the individual taxpayer.  The merchant costs associated with credit card acceptance cannot be absorbed by the County without tax increases for everyone, therefore the fee is charged separately to customers that choose the online payment option. The fee is remitted to a third party vendor, not Johnson County.

Electronic Payments

Yes. When using a bill-pay service they will typically ask for your account number to identify your property. In this case, please enter your Quick Ref ID so we can match the check with the appropriate property.  However, it is recommended that you use the eCheck payment option on this website to submit a payment directly to us. 

Yes. Taxes can be paid online using a check, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. The service fee schedule is defined below. Current taxes and tax warrants can be paid online.

No. We do not accept payments by phone.

Online payments will be received and posted by the Treasurer's office on the first business day (excluding weekends and holidays) after the online payment was made. If a receipt is requested, the receipt date will show the Treasurer's posting date, and not the online payment date. Please allow 2-3 business days for the payment to show as posted on your online tax information page. Payments made online on the due dates (i.e. 12/20 and 5/10) are considered timely payments.

No. You can only make payments on the current day at this time.

Yes. Any information submitted online is kept confidential through secure servers and encryption technology utilized by our vendors.

No. A debit card will be charged the same service fee as a credit card.

There is a $30.00 return fee on all eChecks that are returned for insufficient funds. There is a $2.50 return fee on all eChecks that are returned due to incorrect routing or account numbers.

The fee is $0.50 for all online transactions paid by check.

Walk-In & Mail Payments

Personal checks, money orders, and cashier checks are acceptable mail payments. Do not send cash in the mail.

Cash, personal checks, money orders, cashier checks, and credit cards with a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover logo are accepted for walk-in payments.  All credit card payments are subject to a service fee of 2.4%.

Johnson County Treasurer
111 South Cherry Street, Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

No. Due to PCI Compliance standards, we cannot accept credit card payments by fax.

For walk-in payments the service fee is 2.4% of your total transaction amount.