Real Estate

neighborhood sidewalk passing by houses

Real estate taxes are based on the value of  property and the budgets needed to pay for services and projects that benefit the community.

Real estate tax is calculated based on land and improvements to the land. “Improvements” is the term used for a house, building or other permanent structure on the land.

Tax Due Dates

Taxes can be paid in full on or before Dec. 20 of the current year, or in two installments.

If you choose to pay in two installments:

  • The first half is due on or before Dec. 20 of the current year.
  • The second half is due on or before May 10 of the following year.

First installment notices are mailed mid-November. Second installment notices are mailed the beginning of April.

Payments received after the due date are considered late and subject to interest. Failure to receive a tax statement does not alleviate a business or individual from interest and fees. (K.S.A. 79-2004 and 79-2004a)

How To Pay


  • eCheck (account and routing number) service fee of $0.50
  • Visa, MasterCard, or Discover service fee of 2.4%

Please allow 2 - 3 business days for online payments to post

Click here to search for your property 


Personal check, cashier’s check, or money order. DO NOT MAIL CASHMake checks payable to Johnson County Treasurer. Please write your quick ref id # on the check.

Mail to:

Johnson County Treasurer
PO Box 2902
Shawnee Mission, KS 66201


  • Cash, personal check, cashier’s check, or money order
  • Visa, MasterCard, or Discover service fee of 2.4% 

Office Location:

111 S. Cherry St, Suite 1200
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Bulk Payers

Johnson County uses Autoagent for the bulk real estate payment process. All pre-commitment and payment files must be submitted electronically via Autoagent. For information call Autoagent 1-877-932-8478 or visit To verify if your company qualifies as a bulk payer please contact the Treasurer’s Office at

If an individual payment needs be mailed please send a copy of the bill with a check to:

Standard Mailing Address:
Johnson County Treasurer
PO BOX 2902
Shawnee Mission, KS 66201

Overnight Mailing Address:
Johnson County Treasurer
111 S. Cherry St, Suite 1200
Olathe, KS 66061

If you do not send a bill with your tax payment but choose instead to send a self-generated (memo) bill or no bill at all, you will be charged a $5 duplicate bill fee per parcel to cover administrative costs. To avoid the $5 duplicate bill fee you can print a bill at                       

How taxes are calculated

The County Clerk computes the mill levies for each local taxing authority. Mill levies are calculated by dividing the taxing authority's budget by the taxable assessed value in their district.

A mill is a monetary unit equal to 1/1000 of a US dollar. One mill on $1,000 assessed value equals $1.00 in taxes. For tax calculation purposes, a mill levy of 126.161 would be divided by 1000 to equal .126161 as seen in the example below.

Real Estate Tax Calculation

  • Assessed Value x Mill Levy + Non Mill Levy Tax (Special Assessments) - School General Credit = Tax Due
    • Example: 23,000 x .126161 + 33.00 - 96.72 = $2,837.98
  • The first $4,836 in residential assessed value is exempt from the school general mill levy rate. 
  • Residential properties valued less than $42,049 receive a school general credit determined by the assessed value and the school general mill rate. Non-residential properties do not receive the school general credit.

Helpful Resources

Payment Under Protest

If you would like to protest your property value you must submit a Payment Under Protest Application (PUP) when paying your taxes.

The PUP application can be submitted electronically through the payment under protest portal. PUPs  may also be printed  PUP application and emailed to, or mailed to:

Johnson County Treasurer
ATTN: Protest Processing
111 S. Cherry St, Suite 1200
Olathe, KS 66061

PUP applications will be accepted between November 1 and December 20 with payment.  If at least half of the taxes are paid by an escrow agent, a protest of the taxes must be filed no later than the following January 31.  If taxes are paid after these deadlines, the PUP application must be filed at the time the taxes are paid.  If a PUP is received without appropriate payment, including interest and fees, it will be rejected.

Request for Refund/Transfer of Funds

Johnson County is not responsible if taxes are paid on the wrong property. If you have made a duplicate or erroneous payment on a parcel and are requesting a refund or transfer of funds, please fill out the refund/transfer request form. 
Only the party that made the payment can request a refund/transfer. Requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Requests of the current tax year must be received by March 15 for first half payments and June 25 for second half payments. Requests for delinquent years must be submitted within 45 days of the date the payment was received.

Submit the request form and supporting documentation to or mail to:

Johnson County Treasurer 
ATTN: Refund Desk
111 S. Cherry St, Suite 1200
Olathe, KS 66061

Delinquent Real Estate Taxes

Delinquent real estate is subject to interest, publication, foreclosure suit and auction.

  • Payment must be received in our office by December 20 and May 10 to avoid interest (KSA 79-2004).
  • If more than one delinquent year is due, the most current delinquent year must be paid first (KSA 79-2401A).
  • Real Estate tax that is not paid by July 31 will be published in the newspaper and charged a $15 publication fee (KSA 79-2303). The first Tuesday in September a tax lien is placed on the property and a redemption period begins
  • If taxes remain unpaid, at the end of the redemption period, the county will file a tax foreclosure suit and the property will be auctioned.
  • For more information about tax foreclosure auctions please visit the tax foreclosure page