New Century AirCenter
Located at 175th Street & Interstate 35, Exit 210, on over 2,700 easily accessible acres in the southwest Kansas City metropolitan area, New Century is where air, rail and interstate highway come together; a true multimodal center. With over 60,000 annual operations and approximately 120 based aircraft, New Century AirCenter is traditionally the third busiest towered airport in Kansas.
The New Century AirCenter's main 7,339' runway is the second longest runway in the region. Also available is a 5,132' crosswind runway, FAA contract air traffic control tower, Category I instrument landing system, and fire station.
Fuel, lubrication and flight line services for all classes of reciprocating and turbine aircraft are available seven days a week by four fixed base operators. Other services include air charter, aircraft sales, aircraft maintenance and flight training.
The airport was originally constructed as the Olathe Naval Air Station (ONAS) in the early 1940s to train pilots for WWII, and was later the continental headquarters of the Naval Air Transport Service (the Navy's in-house airline). Over the 30+ year history, ONAS hosted all four branches of the armed forces.
The AirCenter is still home to the Aviation Support Facility Olathe, which houses the CH-47 Chinook. The Johnson County Airport Commission acquired the site in 1973 and renamed the facility the Johnson County Industrial Airport. The name was changed to New Century AirCenter in 1995 to better reflect changing times and the advanced technology industries located in New Century Commerce Center.
Improvements to airside facilities over the last 20 years include:
- 2021 - Slurry seal of the west transient ramp.
- 2010 - 2020 - GPS Approach and PAPI installed for Runway 4/22, mill and overlay on Taxiway Alpha, crack and seat repairs to the northeast transient ramp, as well as the modernization of the 1942 era administration building, primary pumphouse and maintenance building.
- 2000 - 2010 - Runway 18/36 mill & overlay and rehabilitation of Runway 4/22
2017 KDOT Economic Benefits provided to the Community by the Airport
The following is a list of resident aviation businesses at New Century AirCenter:
- Advanced Aviation, L.L.C. - Full-Service Fixed Base Operator, aviation, maintenance, fueling, flight instruction, avionics sales and servicing
- Butler Avionics, Inc. - Airplane maintenance repair
- Butler National Corp - Fixed Base Operator, avionics, aircraft modifications, FAA approval of modifications
- Commemorative Air Force - Non-profit focused on education and museum for WWII, Korea, and Vietnam Wars
- FAA AF Systems Support Center - Regional aviation navigation electronics equipment
- Garmin - Flight testing and installation, certifications
- JetAviva - Aircraft Sales
- JetSwiss Aviation LLC - Aircraft sales, management, and operations
- Kilo Charlie Aviation - Flight School
- Midwest Air Traffic Control Services, Inc - Contractor for air traffic control services
- New Century Air Service - Full-Service Fixed Base Operator and line service, pay at the pump fuel, aircraft maintenance and insurance repairs, aircraft appraisals and sales
- Signature Flight Support - Full-Service Fixed Base Operator, charter, fueling, maintenance, car rental and hotel reservations
- United States Army Reserve Aviation Support Facility - Regional Army Reserve Center
- IXD - New Century Land Release
- APPENDIX A - Preparers and Qualifications
- APPENDIX B - ALP and Aviation Forecast
- APPENDIX C - Agency Correspondence
- APPENDIX D - Protected Species and Habitat Assessment Technical Memorandum
- APPENDIX E - Farmland Conversion Impact Rating
- APPENDIX F - Hazardous Materials and Wastes Technical Report
- APPENDIX G - Section 106 Consultation
- APPENDIX H - Section 404 Coordination
- APPENDIX I - Sponsors Land Use Letter
- APPENDIX J - Public Involvement