Through a five-year Capital Improvement Plan updated annually, along with numerous grants from federal and state agencies, the Johnson County Airport Commission is able to continue improvements on our airports, business park, water infrastructure and short line railroad. Projects are continually making progress and the most impactful projects are listed below.
- KDOT Rail Grant Maintenance Project was originally started in 2020 with awards received in each subsequent year. This year's work includes replacing crossties and ballasts, some rail including curves and turnouts, and the replacement of the Prairie Village Drive crossing. This crossing was completed in June 2023.
- Taxiway F at Johnson County Executive Airport (OJC) is scheduled to begin on Aug. 7, 2023 and should be completed within 30 days with weather permitting. This mill and overlay will provide improvements to the taxiway that feeds the east side T-Hangar buildings.
- The electrical vault is currently scheduled to be replaced at Johnson County Executive Airport. The new design will bring the unit into an enclosed space for safety and security of the system.
- Taxiway Alpha construction at Johnson County Executive Airport (OJC) began on April 26, 2021 and was completed in early October.
- Taxiway Bravo construction at Johnson County Executive Airport (OJC) began in the spring of 2022 and was officially re-opened in July 2023. This project included re-aligning connecting taxiways.
- Safety gates at various open access points at both IXD and OJC were installed and are fully operational. These gates provide added assistance in preventing runway incursions.
- A slurry seal of the west transient ramp was completed in 2021 at New Century AirCenter (IXD).
- The Navy Park Stormwater project was recently completed at New Century Commerce Center to include removal of the berm, adding a fountain for aeration, and replacement of the stormwater drains.
- Runway 18/36 and Runway 4/22 at New Century AirCenter (IXD) are planned to have major rehabilitation projects completed in the near future.
- Bids for a backup generator for the water distribution system main pumphouse are in the works.
- T-Hangars on the west side of Johnson County Executive Airport are targeted for a rebuilding project in the coming years.