Limited rental assistance is available to qualifying low-income households. Limited financial assistance can be provided for households who are past due on rent or facing eviction.
Aging & Human Services has limited rental assistance funding available. Rental assistance is available in the following cities: Merriam, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, and Shawnee.
Appointments are required to receive rental assistance. All services are provided by appointment only. To see if you qualify and schedule an appointment, please call 913-715-6653. Calls are answered 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the qualifications to receive rental assistance?
- Must be a Johnson County resident.
- Must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines and provide income verification from the previous 30 days. Aging and Human Services utilizes total gross income for the household which includes wages, social security, unemployment, TANF and child support.
- Must provide photo IDs for members 18 or older in the household.
- Must provide Social Security cards for all members of the household.
- Must provide a past-due notice or an eviction notice from the landlord.
- Assistance for rental deposits is not allowed.
- Rental assistance is not available for recipients of a subsidized housing program, such as Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) housing or public housing.
What documents do I need for my appointment?
Before your appointment, please gather the following documents. All documents must be provided before we are able to provide you with services. Appointments will be rescheduled if you are unable to produce the needed documentation.
- Proof of residency documentation that includes client's name and street address (dated within the last 30 days).
- Picture ID for adults (ages 18 or older) in household.
- Social Security cards for all members of the household.
- Proof of income for last 30 days for all adults in household 18 years and older (exception students in high school).
- Copy of lease or rental agreement.
- Past-due note or eviction notice from the landlord.
Are there additional resources for housing assistance?
- Kansas Housing Resources Corporation (KHRC) administers Kansas Homeowner Assistance Fund (KHAF). KHAF provides mortgage assistance to qualifying Kansas homeowners. The goal of KHAF is to avoid foreclosure.
- Johnson County Housing Authority Johnson County Housing Authority (JCHA) administers the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program (formerly called Section 8) for the cities of De Soto, Edgerton, Fairway, Gardner, Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Stilwell, and Westwood areas.
- Olathe Housing Authority. Olathe Housing Authority administers the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program (formerly called Section 8) for the city of Olathe.
Johnson County Multi-Service Centers