Utility Assistance

A past due bill

Utility Assistance is available to qualifying low-income households. Assistance may be provided for electric, water, gas, wastewater or propane utility bills.

Financial assistance can be provided for past due utility bills or assistance with payment plans. Appointments are required to receive utility assistance.

All services are provided by appointment only. To see if you qualify and schedule an appointment, please call 913-715-6653. Calls are answered 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the qualifications to receive utility assistance?

  • Must be a Johnson County resident.
  • Must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines gross income and provide income verification from the previous 30 days.
  • Must provide photo ID's for members 18+ in the household.
  • Must provide Social Security cards for all members of the household.
  • Utility bill must not exceed the maximum amount of funding available.

How do I access services?

All services are provided by appointment only. To see if you qualify and schedule an appointment, please call 913-715-6653. Calls are answered 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. 

Do I need to be disconnected to receive services?

No. Financial assistance is available for qualifying individuals who are past due on their utility bills, unable to make a current payment on an established payment plan or need financial assistance to establish a payment plan.

What documents do I need for my appointment?

Before your appointment, please gather the following documents. All documents must be provided before we are able to provide you with services. Appointments will be rescheduled if you are unable to produce the needed documentation.

  1. Proof of residency documentation that includes client's name and street address (dated within the last 30 days)
    • Provide one of the following:
      • Current lease that is in the resident's name seeking assistance.
      • Another official correspondence in the resident's name seeking assistance - such as government correspondence (example: IRS, DCF, or Social Security) 
      • Current utility bill in the resident's name seeking assistance.
  2. Picture ID for adults (18 yrs & older) in household:
    • Provide one of the following:
      • Driver license or expired driver license if the picture is recognizable. 
      • Passport – current /expired 
      • Military ID with social security number on it
      • State ID
      • Corrections ID
      • If a member of the household is 18 years of age and NOT in high school, then official picture ID is required.
  3. Social Security cards for all members of the household.
    • Provide Social Security cards for all adults and children in the household.
  4. Proof of income for last 30 days for all adults in household 18 years and older (exception students in high school)
    • Provide all that apply:
      • Paycheck stub – Payments/ pay stubs received in the last 30 days.   
      • Social Security Administration (SSA) benefit letter for the current year.
      • Unemployment letter – online Pay Card report
      • DCF cash benefit letter or print out from ebtedge.com
      • Bank statement – Bank statement must be within last 30 days, and can be used for self-employed or pension. All deposits are considered income. Must include client’s name on the bank statement.
      • Proof of child support from KANPAY system or bank statement showing deposits of child support.
      • Cash Payment - If employee is paid cash: copies of the checks or letter from employer stating their income for the last 30 days. The number of hours worked and hourly rate for last 30 days should be included on the letter.
      • Self-Employment – clients can use personal bank statements to verify income.  

Where are the locations?

Are there additional community resources for utility assistance?

Yes, here are some additional resources for Johnson County residents.

Contact Information

Johnson County Multi-Service Centers