Food Pantries

Boxes of groceries

Johnson County Aging & Human Services operates food pantries within three of the Multi-Service Center locations. 

Food pantries are located within the North Central (Lenexa), North East (Mission) and Southwest (Gardner) Multi-Service Centers.

Appointments are required to receive food pantry services.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the qualifications to receive food pantry?

  • Must be a Johnson County resident.
  • Must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines and provide income verification from the previous 30 days. Aging and Human Services utilizes total gross income for the household which includes wages, Social Security, unemployment, TANF and child support.
  • Must provide photo IDs for members 18+ in the household.
  • Must provide Social Security numbers for all members of the household.

What does the food pantry provide?

Our food pantries provide shelf stable food items such as canned meat, canned vegetables, pasta, pasta sauce, peanut butter, jelly, cereal and canned fruit.

The food pantries often receive hygiene donations and when available we may provide toilet paper, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, diapers, feminine hygiene products, etc.

Both food and hygiene items are subject to change. Our food pantries rely heavily on community donations. 

How do I access the food pantry?

All services are provided by appointment only. To see if you qualify and schedule an appointment, please call 913-715-6653. Calls are answered 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

How often can I visit the food pantry?

Once qualified for services, residents can visit the food pantry once every 30 days.

What documents do I need to bring to my appointment?

Before your appointment, please gather the following documents. All documents must be provided before we are able to provide you with services. Appointments will be rescheduled if you are unable to produce the needed documentation.

  1. Proof of residency documentation that includes client's name and street address (dated within the last 30 days)
    • Provide one of the following:
      • Current lease that is in the resident's name seeking assistance.
      • Another official correspondence in resident's name seeking assistance - such as government correspondence (example: IRS, DCF or Social Security) 
      • Current utility bill in the resident's name seeking assistance.
  2. Picture ID for adults (18 yrs and older) in Household:
    • Provide one of the following:
      • Driver license or expired driver license if the picture is recognizable. 
      • Passport – current /expired 
      • Military ID with Social Security number on it
      • State ID
      • Corrections ID
      • If a member of the household is 18 years of age and NOT in high school then official picture ID is required
  3. Social Security numbers for all members of the household. 
  4. Proof of income for last 30 days for all adults in household 18 years and older (exception students in high school)
    • Provide all that apply:
      • Paycheck stub – Payments/pay stubs received in the last 30 days.   
      • Social Security Administration (SSA) benefit letter for the current year.
      • Unemployment letter – online Pay Card report
      • DCF cash benefit letter or print out from
      • Bank statement – Bank statement must be within last 30 days, and can be used for self-employed or pension. All deposits are considered income. Must include client’s name on the bank statement.
      • Proof of child support from KANPAY system or bank statement showing deposits of child support.
      • Cash Payment - If employee is paid cash: copies of the checks or letter from employer stating their income for the last 30 days. The number of hours worked and hourly rate for last 30 days should be included on the letter.
      • Self-Employment – clients can use personal bank statements to verify income.  

Where are Johnson County Multi-Service Center food pantries located?

*Appointments are required to receive services.

How can I donate to the food pantry?

Donations are welcome and always accepted.

There are three ways to donate:

  1. Purchase items off our Amazon wish list. All items purchased are shipped directly to our office.
  2. Host a food or hygiene drive. We can provide flyers of the most needed items.
  3. Make a monetary donation. 

Please call 913-715-8806 to arrange a donation drop-off or monetary donation.

How can I volunteer for the food pantry?

Volunteers are utilized at all three food pantries. Volunteers assist in the food pantry during business hours Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. To learn more about volunteer opportunities please visit our volunteer webpage or call 913-715-8859

At this time, AHS does not offer community service hours for volunteering.

Where are additional food pantries in Johnson County located?

Johnson County has several community food pantries for residents who may need assistance.