Daytrips visit varied destinations
By Michelle Alexander
Johnson County Park and Recreation 50 Plus Travel is packing the summer with exciting daytrip destinations. Explore everything from caverns, to collectables, to quilts and more!
Grab your sunglasses and leave the planning to us on these all-inclusive trips:
- “Caverns and Cars”- Explore the underground world of Fantastic Caverns by way of tram. See spectacular sights while learning about the cave system. After lunch, visit the Route 66 Car Museum. Marvel at cars from the Brass Era, sports cars, classics, and even celebrity cars. Shop one of the best collections of Route 66 memorabilia in the nation in Springfield, Mo. Thursday, July 7. $132.
- “Precious Moments”- You know them by their tear-drop eyes and muted pastel painted clothing. Precious Moments have adorned the shelves of Americans for decades. Travel to Carthage, Mo., and tour the ever-popular Precious Moments Chapel and grounds. After lunch, tour the Jasper County Courthouse. Be amazed at the Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, constructed in 1894. Enjoy a guided tour of this medieval castle-like courthouse, still in use today. Substantial walking is to be expected. Tuesday, July 19. $96
- “Calling All Quilters” - Enjoy a day made for quilters in Hamilton, Mo.! Before getting started with all things fabric, visit the J.C. Penney Museum. Next, tour the Missouri Quilt Museum and see more than 300 quilts from different time periods, 600 toy machines and 200 antique machines. After lunch at a local Mexican restaurant, dive into the endless fabric shopping at four of the Star Quilt Company locations. Tuesday, Aug. 2. $97.
- “St. Mary’s and Museums”- Travel to Nemaha County in Seneca, Kansas and tour a handful of museums, including the County Museum, The Fire Department Museum, The Temple of Honor and one of the largest hand-dug wells. After lunch, enjoy one of 8 Wonders of Kansas-Art, St. Mary's Church at Saint Benedicts featuring beautiful stained glass, architecture and artwork. Tuesday, Aug. 23. $98.
- “A Rare Day Indeed”- Visit the Kansas City Public Library for a guided tour of the library, original bank vault and current exhibits. Hear about the history of the decline of banks in the downtown area as they gave way to the library district and learn about the rich architecture of the building. Finish with a tour of their collection of rare books and artifacts that live onsite. Afterwards, tour the Money Museum at the Federal Reserve. Lunch included. Thursday, Aug. 25. $79.
All trips listed depart from Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Road, Merriam and are all inclusive including lunch, tour tickets and gratuity. Pre-registration is required by calling 913-831-3359 or online by visiting the Daytrip and Social Outing page at https://jcprd.com/169/Travel.
Michelle Alexander the 50 Plus Department manager at the Johnson County Park and Recreation District.