Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Contractor Licensing

Phone: 913-715-2233

111 S. Cherry STE 1000, Olathe, KS 66061

You are here

Apply for a License

How do I get a Johnson County Contractor's License?

Licensing Application Packet

We license contractors and firms and there are seven steps to obtaining a license. If you have any questions, please call staff by dialing (913) 715-2233. We’ll be happy to help.

  1. Provide a completed 2020 Application. There is a one‐time $100 application fee and a $225 fee per license. We need to have an original of the signed application, so applications must be submitted at the office or mailed to the office.
  2. Provide proof of General Liability and Worker’s Compensation Insurance. Every company except a company with an “inactive license” shall keep in force a policy of general liability insurance including completed operations coverage meeting the program’s mandatory standards and, when required by the laws of Kansas, worker’s compensation  insurance.  The  insurance  policy  must  be  written  with  an  insurance  company  licensed  to  do business in Kansas. A certificate of insurance or other satisfactory evidence of the insurance coverage is required.
  3. Establish the Qualifying Individual. Every licensed entity must have at least one responsible individual who will be known as the Qualifying Individual. The contractor can be the Qualifying Individual. Firms must have at least one Qualified Individual who is a full time employee (full time is defined as working 30 hours per week or more) of the company. The Qualifying Individual must possess either “1” or “2”, as follows:
    1. A Bachelor of Science degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Science, or Construction Management from an ABET or ACCE accredited program. Landscape Architecture degrees do not qualify. An official transcript establishes proof of degree qualification.
    2. A certified test score 75% or higher, on a standard examination as defined by Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) or as approved by the Contractor License Review Board. Standard examination agencies are defined as the International Code Council (ICC), the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO), and Prometric or past subsidiaries of Educational Testing Services (ETS). For license types DM (mechanical) and DE (electrical) we recognize only Master level tests and for the license type DP (plumbing) we recognize only the Master Plumber with Gas test, except as allowed by Kansas law. DF (fire protection) license Qualifying Individuals must possess a current National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technology (NICET) Automatic Sprinkler System Layout Level III or IV Certification, or NICET Water Based Sprinkler Layout Level III or Level IV. No ICC exam is approved for DF licenses.
  4. Provide documentary evidence of the Qualifying Individual’s experience. This varies by license type. The experience requirements for Class DE, DM, and DP licenses have been established by the State of Kansas while the other license types have been established by the Contractor Licensing Review Board. Contact staff for information and to discuss documentation.
  5. Confirm the identity of Qualified Individual and company owner with a government issued photo I.D.
  6. Provide a digital photo of the Qualified Individual. In addition to the government issued photo ID of the owner and Qualifying Individual, we need a digital photo of the Qualifying Individual for the license card. We can take one for you in our office, or you can send us one in .JPG format. The photo can be e‐mailed to [email protected] or mailed on a CD, DVD or Flash Drive.
  7. If the firm is a corporate entity, provide evidence that the entity is in good standing. All corporate entities must provide proof of good standing from the Secretary of State of the state in which they are registered.

If you have any questions or need more information, please call staff at (913) 715‐2233.