Child Care Licensing

Children reading at a childcare center

The Child Care Licensing division works with all child care facilities in Johnson, Miami and Franklin counties in Kansas. Kansas Child Care Licensing Law states that anyone providing care for children other than those related by blood, marriage or adoption, must be licensed.

Licensing surveyors complete all child care related inspections including initial, annual and complaint investigations. The Child Care Licensing Division also offers KDHE approved trainings for child care providers, presents orientation meetings for new providers, offers consultation appointments, and completes annual inspections of all Johnson County schools.

Child Care COVID-19 Guidance

Johnson County Department of Health and Environment’s (JCDHE) childcare requirements reflect the current understanding of COVID-19 transmission in children. As new evidence emerges, guidance may change. As with your current disease policy, you can choose to make your policy more restrictive, however, you must implement the policy equally with all children.

For questions regarding COVID-19 in child care facilities please contact the Child Care Hotline at 913-477-8361.

Get Started in Child Care

The first step to starting a child care business is to attend an orientation meeting. If you want to start a home child care business, start by registering for an Information Meeting. If you want to start a child care center, call Jill Reed at 913-477-8347 to set up your individual orientation.

The Child Care Licensing Division is located in the Sunset Drive Office Building, 11811 S. Sunset Drive, Suite 2700, Olathe, Kansas 66061.

The Johnson County Department of Health and Environment's Child Care Licensing division works with all child care facilities in Johnson, Miami and Franklin counties in Kansas. According to the Kansas Child Care Licensing Law, anyone providing care for children other than those related by blood, marriage or adoption, must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

Mandatory Classes

The following classes are required before becoming a child care provider:

  • Pediatric first aid and pediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certifications
  • Medication administration
  • Safe sleep practices and sudden infant death syndrome
  • Recognizing the signs of child abuse and neglect, including the prevention of shaken baby syndrome and abusive head trauma, and the reporting of suspected child abuse and neglect
  • Basic child development, including supervision of children
  • Prevention and control of infectious diseases, including immunizations
  • Prevention of and response to emergencies due to food and allergic reactions
  • Building and premises safety, including identification of and protection from hazards that could cause bodily injury, including electrical hazards, bodies of water, and vehicular traffic
  • Emergency preparedness and response planning for emergencies resulting from a natural disaster or a human-caused event, including violence at a facility
  • Handling and storage of hazardous materials and the appropriate disposal of bio-contaminants, including blood and other bodily fluids or waste
  • Precautions when transporting children, if transportation is provided

Child Care Facility Compliance Search

To view regulatory compliance history of your child care provider, visit the KDHE Online Portal.

Child Care Facility Complaints

To report a complaint or concern about a child care facility in Johnson County, please call the Child Care Licensing Division at 913-477-8339. All regulatory questions will be answered and investigated if indicated.

Background Check Packet Pick-Up

Child care providers who are eligible for license renewal can pick up background check packets at the Child Care Licensing office located in the Sunset Drive Office Building (11811 S. Sunset Drive, Olathe) during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8–11:30 a.m. and 12:30–5 p.m.) or by calling 913-477-8339 to schedule a pick-up on weekdays before 8 a.m. Packets are also available 30 minutes prior to the start of all evening child care licensing classes.

Fingerprint and Background Check Implementation

Kansas law requires a comprehensive background check, including fingerprints, for each individual residing, working or regularly volunteering in a licensed child care home or working with children in a daycare center or school-age program. Providers must have their OCA number BEFORE fingerprinting can be done. This is required for both home providers and facilities. Please visit the Kansas Department of Health and Environment's website for answers to frequently asked questions and deadlines to submit paperwork and fingerprints.

The Johnson County Sheriff's Office, 588 E. Santa Fe St., Olathe, KS offers fingerprinting service at no charge for Johnson County residents/providers Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (except holidays). Appointments are available for fingerprints and highly recommended. Appointments require 24-hour advance notice. Walk-ins will be accepted if there is availability, but there may be significant wait times. Schedule an appointment here. Additional fingerprinting locations in Johnson County are listed here.

Childcare providers in Miami and Franklin counties can find a list of Kansas authorized fingerprinting locations here.

Bring the following items with you when you get fingerprinted (all counties):

  • Fingerprint card (with top part completed)
  • Square return mail envelope with $1 postage attached
  • Waiver consent form
  • Payment page (completed for credit card payment) or check/money order 
  • Government issued ID (Driver’s license/State ID/Passport)  

Leave the envelope and all contents with the police officer. The law enforcement agency taking the fingerprints is responsible for mailing the envelope. If you are paying for more than one person, attach a list of names that your payment covers.

If you have further questions regarding whether a particular course will count for these requirements, please email Nancy Johnson for child care homes or Jill Reed for child care centers and school-age programs.

To enroll in one of our classes, please register at Child Care Licensing Classes.

If you have questions about child care classes, send an email to Nancy Johnson

Explore Child Care Licensing