More information including official minutes, votes and videos on all items is available at boccmeetings.jocogov.org.
To reduce the spread of COVID-19, physical distancing will be observed in the Hearing Room, with limited seating in the adjacent lobby with audio available. A live broadcast will still be available at boccmeetings.jocogov.org and on Facebook Live.
Public comments are being accepted for the Board of County Commissioners’ meeting for those who preregister. Live public comments will be accepted either in-person or via Zoom, audio only. Individuals wishing to speak in-person or via Zoom may register by completing this registration form. Starting for the June 3rd meeting, individuals wishing to speak in-Person, may also sign up In-Person by 9:20 a.m. prior to the meeting. Online Registration opens Tuesday afternoon/evening (coincides with publishing the agenda) and closes at noon (12:00 p.m.) on the Wednesday before the Thursday meeting. If you complete the registration, you will receive an email notice later in the day on Wednesday regarding the status of your registration. Instructions on joining and speaking at the meeting via Zoom will be included in the email notice for individuals who register to speak via Zoom. Individuals registering to speak in person at the meeting will receive email confirmation of their registration. The BOCC has established a limit of 50 speakers for general public comments or for a specific agenda item. If more than 50 individuals register, the 50 speakers will be determined by a random process. Speakers will be limited to 3 minutes each.
Speakers who have registered to speak via Zoom will be called upon to speak first, followed by speakers who have registered to speak in person, then we will call upon speakers that signup the morning of the meeting. Registered speakers using Zoom will be called upon to speak in the order in which they signed up. Speakers who have registered/signed up for in person public comment will be admitted into the Hearing Room in the order specified by the Deputy Clerk. The Chairman may modify these procedures as needed to conduct an orderly and efficient meeting.
If you would like to make a WRITTEN public comment for the meeting, please use this link, WRITTEN Public Comments and complete the form. Written comments received by noon Wednesday will be shared with the entire Board prior to the meeting. Written comments will not be read into the record during the meeting. If you are unable to use this internet link, you may call the following number, and we will record your information. (913) 715-0424.
If you plan to attend a Board of County Commissioners meeting and need an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter or other Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accommodation, please use this form to let us know what reasonable accommodation you need or via the Kansas Relay Operator at (800) 766-3777, or by phone at (913) 715-0430 at least two (2) business days prior to the meeting.
BOCC actions for June 17, 2021
- Authorized the acceptance of federal grant EMW-2020-FG-12092 awarded to Johnson County MED-ACT through the Assistance to Firefighters Grant ProgramCOVID-19 Supplemental (AFG-S) and authorize the reallocation and expenditure of County General Fund reserves in an amount not to exceed $40,313.64.
- Authorized the reduction of the 2022 Contractor Licensing Renewal and Base fee from $225 to $180 beginning November 1, 2021.
- Amended the FY 2021-2025 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) to include a capital project for the hazardous material abatement and razing of the existing structure(s) on the Kuhlman Diecasting property near 164th and Mission Road in an amount not to exceed $725,000; and to authorize the reallocation and use of General Fund Reserves in an amount not to exceed $725,000 to fund the project.
- Authorized the publication of a proposed budget for Johnson County Government in the amount of $1,448,443,368 for fiscal year 2022, based upon the determinations made by the Board in its work sessions, that the Board notify the county clerk of the proposed intent to exceed the revenue neutral rates for the County, Library, and Park and Recreation taxing districts, and set the public hearing on the proposed budget for Monday, August 23, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. in the Board Chambers.
Manager’s Memo, Penny Postoak Ferguson, County Manager
COVID-19 and Vaccination: Johnson County Update
This report has been prepared by Dr. Sanmi Areola and Elizabeth Lawlor Holzschuh as of June 14, 2021.
County Advisor Update
County Advisor Peggy Trent has completed the application and registration process for admission to the Kansas bar. She is now a licensed Kansas attorney. This Board appointed Trent to serve as County Advisor while her application was pending. Today, the Board voted to appoint Trent as Chief Counsel for Johnson County effective July 1, 2021. More information on Trent is available in this news release.
City of Overland Park – BluHawk STAR Bond Revised Project Plan (Notice of Public Hearing)
The City of Overland Park will be conducting a public hearing on Monday, June 21st, to consider substantial changes to the BluHawk STAR bond project plan, which is located in the general vicinity of the southwest corner of 159th Street and U.S.Highway 69 in Overland Park. The notice of public hearing is available here along with an Overland Park staff report that summarizes the substantial changes to the project plan.
BOCC chamber update
This memo outlines plans for removing many of the temporary arrangements and modifications put in place to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The Board voted to implement the plan outlined in the memo.
The BOCC held an afternoon study session on Transit. More information is available in this presentation and this summary report.
Items currently on the agenda for the June 24 meeting
- Consider approving the appointment of Rebecca Barton- Sixth District Representative of the Southwest Consolidated Zoning Board through March 13, 2023.
- Consider approving the appointment of Donna Goetzmann- Sixth District Representative of the Southwest Consolidated Zoning Board through March 13, 2023.
- Consider ratifying the Chairman’s appointment of Anne L. Timmons to the Community Corrections Advisory Board through July 1, 2023.
- (Sitting as the Governing Body of Fire District No. 2) consider authorizing the purchase of (17) SCOTT self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), (17) spare SCBA air cylinders, (25) facepieces, (2) RIT-Pak III, and related accessories from Feld Fire Equipment Company for $138,092.10 to be paid from the Fire District’s general fund, per Overland Park bid RFB-SCBA, Feb. 1, 2021.
- Consider authorizing a contract with Voya Financial, for Retirement Investment and Recordkeeping Services, effective 1/1/2022 for a contract period of one (1) year with an option to renew four (4) annual renewals.
- Consider executing a document at the request of New Cingular Wireless that acknowledges the release and transfer of the Board’s interest in the cell tower at Shawnee Mission Park.
- Conduct a public hearing to authorize funds for the construction phase of the Blue River Main Chemical Tank Replacement Project (BRM1- Contract 12) in an amount not to exceed $1,444,650.
- Consider authorizing a contract with Garney Companies, Inc. to construct the Blue River Main Chemical Tank Replacement Project (BRM1-Contract 12) in an amount not to exceed $1,098,000.
- Consider approving consent for the assignment and assumption of the Sewer District Agreement between ALF HM Johnson County, LLC, and Southern Meadows, LLC and authorizing the Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners to sign consenting to same on behalf of the Board.
- Consider holding a public hearing for the purpose of receiving public comment and testimony on the proposed amendment to the FY 2021 Budget and consider adoption of Resolution No. 045-21 amending the FY 2021 budget for the General Fund.