Housing Choice Voucher Program

couple new home boxes

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program is a federally funded program designed to provide subsidies to very low and extremely low income families, allowing them to locate decent, safe housing while maintaining rental payments at an affordable level.

The HCV Program offers private property owners timely, consistent, long-term rental subsidy payments when they execute a lease with a program participant. 

The Housing Authority administers HCV for the cities of De Soto, Edgerton, Fairway, Gardner, Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Stilwell, and Westwood areas.

2024 Payment Standards (Effective Dec. 1, 2023)

The payment standards are set at 120% of the Fair Market Rents for the Kansas City metropolitan statistical area as determined by HUD for the localities of De Soto, Edgerton, Gardner, Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Stilwell, and Westwood areas. (Amount includes rent plus utility allowance).

  • 0 bedroom: $1,182
  • 1 bedroom: $1,317
  • 2 bedrooms: $1,509
  • 3 bedrooms: $1,974
  • 4 bedrooms: $2,317

Frequent Questions

Can I transfer my voucher anywhere?

Transferring your voucher to another jurisdiction is called “Portability.” You will be eligible for portability after an initial one-year lease up within our jurisdiction (see cities listed previously).

How do I select a home?

Your family will be given a voucher for the appropriate bedroom size based on your family composition. The type of home is your choice: apartment, duplex, or single-family house. Remember, whatever type of housing you choose, it will be your home for at least one year.

Great care should be given to your selection. After you choose your home, JCHA will inspect the unit to ensure that it meets Housing Quality Standards (safe, decent, and sanitary).

What are my responsibilities as a tenant / program participant?

As a tenant, you must comply with the terms of the lease agreement. The lease agreement will be signed between the owner or landlord and you. The Housing Authority will not be a party to the lease agreement.

You must also maintain the property in a safe, decent, and sanitary condition. Your unit will be inspected annually for as long as you occupy the unit.

As a tenant, you must pay your share of the rent on time each month. After the first year, if you move, a proper 30-day written notice must be given to the owner or landlord. Tenants do not rent from the Housing Authority, and the Housing Authority is not an owner or landlord.

The family must also:

  • Provide the Housing Authority with complete and accurate information.
  • Comply with the Family Obligations listed on the voucher.
  • Cooperate in attending all appointments scheduled by Housing Authority.
  • Locate a unit that is suitable for the family and meets Housing Quality Standards requirements.
  • Notify the Housing Authority of any changes in income or family composition at the time of change.
  • Cooperate with the owner or landlord by informing her/him in writing of any necessary repairs.

What will be my monthly rent payment?

You will pay at least 30% of your monthly adjusted income but not more than 40%, based on the cost of the unit you choose. The Housing Authority will only pay the difference between your 30% monthly adjusted income and the payment standard (or rent, whichever is lower.)

What are grounds for termination?

JCHA may, at any time, deny/terminate program assistance if the family engages in any of the following activities :

  • The family (including each family member) must not: own or have any interest in the unit (other than in a cooperative, or the owner of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space).
  • Commits any serious or repeated violation of the lease.
  • Commits fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.
  • Engages in drug-related criminal activity, violent criminal activity, or other criminal activity, that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.
  • Subleases, lets the unit, assigns the lease or transfers the unit.
  • Receives voucher program assistance while receiving another housing subsidy for the same unit, or a different unit, under any other federal, state or local housing assistance program.
  • Damages the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.
  • Receives voucher program assistance while residing in a unit owned by a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother of any member of the family, unless JCHA has determined (and has notified the owner or landlord and the family of such determination) that approving rental of the unit, notwithstanding such relationship, would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities.
  • Engages in abuse of alcohol in a way that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.

What are the Housing Authority's responsibilities?

  • Verify and review family composition and income to determine eligibility.
  • Explain the rules of the program to the family and owner/landlord.
  • Issue a voucher to eligible family.
  • Perform Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection to ensure unit meets minimum standards (initially, annually and interim).
  • Sign contract with owner/landlord on behalf of the family when the selected unit meets HQS requirements.
  • Make housing assistance payments to the owner/landlord in a timely manner.
  • Ensure owner/landlord and family continue to comply with program rules.
  • Provide family and owner/landlord with prompt, courteous, accurate and professional service.

What are the owner or landlord's responsibilities?

  • Comply with fair housing laws and equal opportunity requirements.
  • Comply with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract (Form HUD-52641).
  • Ensure that the unit continues to meet HQS requirements.
  • Cooperate with the tenant by responding promptly to requests for needed repairs.
  • Notify the Housing Authority of any program violations.
  • Enforce the lease and collect the rent due, any security deposit, and charges for damages to unit by the family.
  • Screen families for suitability as renters.
  • Provide modification to a dwelling unit occupied or to be occupied by a person with a disability. (The Housing Authority can help with referrals to agencies that make funds available for modifications to units for persons with a disability.)
  • Notify the Housing Authority in writing of any address or telephone number changes.
  • Notify the Housing Authority in writing of changes in ownership (selling property) or landlords.
  • The owner or landlord determines whether to require a security deposit and the amount of the deposit. If the owner or landlord collects a deposit, the amount collected may not be in excess of private market practice, or in excess of amounts charged to unassisted tenants.

Helpful Links