The HOME Program assists eligible homeowners of Johnson County, Kansas with rehabilitation needs of their owner-occupied homes. Health and safety, accessibility and curing local code citations may be addressed through the HOME Program.
Assistance is provided as a deferred payment loan (at 0% interest and is forgiven 10% per year for 10 years.) The loan instrument is recorded with the Johnson County Records & Tax Administration. If at any time the property changes ownership, the remaining amount of the loan must be repaid.
There are nine basic eligibility requirements a household must meet to participate in the HOME Program.
- The home must be located in Johnson County, Kansas.
- The applicant must own and occupy his or her home as their primary residence.
- If the home is secured by a mortgage, the payment must be current.
- The repairs must cost a minimum of $1,000 to correct.
- Total household gross income cannot exceed the 80 percent low to medium limit as set by HUD.
- The value of the home assisted property after rehabilitation must not exceed 95 percent of the median purchase price for the area, as published by HUD. HUD's current value limit is $252,000.
- All property taxes on the property must be current.
- Adequate homeowner's insurance must be in effect.
- There can be only one lien holder on the property at the time of application.
The city in which the property is located must provide match funding. This match funding must be in place before the project can be started. Call your city hall for information.
All eligibility requirements must be verified.
Income limits are based on HUD published median income guidelines for the Kansas City Metropolitan area (MSA: Kansas City, MO-KS):
Household Size | Income Limit
1 person | $57,400
2 person | $65,600
3 person | $73,800
4 person | $82,000
5 person | $88,600
6 person | $95,150
7 person | $101,700
8 person | $108,250
How to apply for the program
Request a Waitlist Application from the Housing Services office at 913-715-6612 or download the Waitlist Application here.
Complete the application and return it to the Housing Services office. Be sure to include copies of all required documentation.
Johnson County Housing Services
12425 West 87th Street Parkway, Suite 200
Lenexa, KS 66215
The Housing Rehabilitation Program Assistant will contact you to complete the application process.
An inspector will assess your home for needed repair.
If approved for the HOME Program, a Rehabilitation Specialist will come to your home and do a complete inspection. This includes such items as walls, floors, roof, foundation, plumbing, sewer, electrical, furnace, water heater, doors, windows, and guardrails. Home conditions will also be inspected.
While the mission of the HOME Program is to address health and safety concerns, other objectives include improving accessibility for persons with disabilities, weatherization, and addressing lead-based paint. See Protect Your Family from Lead in the Home. Other rehabilitation may be done to bring the property up to a level that is not uncommon for the area. The HOME Program will not provide for general upgrades or luxury items.