Housing and Long-Term Care

An elderly couple sits on a bench and enjoys coffee outside a retirement home

Residents seeking housing and older adults seeking long-term care in Johnson County have a variety of options to choose from: apartments, houses, assisted living, and more.

Looking to get started? In addition to different types of housing, there are also affordable housing options available, including subsidized housing, as well as support for those in transition.

Below, you can find options from your Explore Your Options directory for housing and long-term care.

Apartment or House

There are plenty of apartment search sites, ads online and in the newspapers, and there are Senior Real Estate Specialists and Certified Aging in Place Specialists who can help you.

Many people search online at the libraries where computers are available for public use. Retirement Apartments are also listed in the Explore Your Options directory under Apartments.

Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8)

Subsidized Housing for Low-Income Individuals & Families of All Ages

There are two housing authorities in Johnson County, Kansas: one for the City of Olathe and one for the rest of Johnson County located on 87th Street in Lenexa.

The Housing Choice Voucher program (Section 8) has waiting lists that open only once every year or two. This is to allow more people to join the waiting list, and eventually fill in the spots for subsidized housing left by those who exit the program.

When the waiting list opens up it is advertised in advance, usually in newspapers and on the housing websites. To catch these ads, a person can set a once or twice monthly routine on their calendar to look at the website.

Section 202 Housing

Subsidized Housing for Age 62 and Older, or Disabled

If you are 62+ or disabled, you can apply at each of the Section 202 apartment complexes individually to get your name on their waiting list. Typically residents pay 30% of their income for rent if you qualify, and they factor in your savings as well.

Section 42

Low-Income Tax Credit Apartments for Age 55+

Apartment owners got a tax break when these apartments were built if they would offer some of their apartments at less than market rate, usually $550-$600+ per month. These rates increase from time to time, as do the income requirements which make a person eligible. You apply at each one of these apartments.

Options in Other Counties or Homesharing

Although there is no formal program to support home-sharing, some people find a suitable match by word of mouth or do a classified ad online or in a newspaper, or some kind of announcement in an organization or church bulletin. Then they review or screen the situation to see if things would work out.

It helps to have an agreement written down and signed by people who are living together because what you do not discuss about financial arrangements, household responsibilities, and rules can become a problem later. You can find agreements for living together online or at the library.

National Eldercare Locator: Call 1-800-677-1116 to connect to aging services in other areas.

211 KC Metro Line and 211 systems across the USA: Dial 211 for community resource information.

Housing Crisis Hubs

Help for the homeless and those in transition

If you are living in Johnson County and need emergency shelter and other homeless services, you have options to connect to a variety of supports.

Johnson County’s Continuum of Care (CoC) on Homelessness’ members work together to meet the needs of those who are homeless in the community.

If you are not already connected to an organization that can assist you in finding emergency shelter or connect you to housing options, there are three hubs that offer screening and assistance Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

  • North of 119th Street and East of I-35
    • Catholic Charities, 913-384-6608, 9806 W 87th St, Overland Park, KS
  • North of 119th Street and West of I-35
    • Johnson County Mental Health, 913-715-7765 11120 W. 65th St, Shawnee, KS
  • South of 119th Street
    • Salvation Army, 913-782-3640, 420 E Santa Fe, Olathe KS 66061, ask for social services

If you are seeking assistance outside of Monday-Friday hours, please call United Way’s 211 call center (dial 211 or 816-474-5112)

Take action to find and create housing options

It’s tough to not know where you will live in the future, but don’t give up. Pace yourself, because you have to search and apply, and don’t be discouraged by waiting lists. Sometimes it just turns out that you are closer than you think.

Today is usually a better day to apply than tomorrow, but when you have the energy and the urge, take the action you can do. Call or visit a place. Search online. Have an application mailed to you. Fill out an application. Always be taking some action that will move you forward. Doing this gives you hope, and helps you focus on what solution will work best for you.

Wherever a person ends up, sometimes there is an opportunity to change later and move back or closer to where you want to be or to a better place.

Causes like finding or building affordable housing need champions or heroes. Sometimes, you and other people in a community turn out to be the ones who make it happen by appealing to your community leaders or city councils.

Home Plus Homes, Assisted Living and Nursing Facilities

Most nursing facilities and a few assisted living facilities can be subsidized by Medicaid. Call Johnson County's Area Agency on Aging at 913-715-8861 to discuss your options.

Also see Assisted Living and Nursing Facility listings in your Explore Your Options directory, including Medicaid. Contact Transition Consultants listed in the directory who can help you narrow down and review your options.