Healthcare Navigation

A black female nurse talks with an elderly white woman

Are you an older adult seeking healthcare in Johnson County? Whether you're in need of home visits, a physical therapist, dental care, mental health care, or another form of healthcare, there are a range of options available.

These healthcare providers support the aging population with a number of health services, and you can also explore support groups and health information available to you.

Below, you can find highlights from your Explore Your Operations directory for healthcare. 

Who to Call for Home Visits

Home Health Agencies

Home Health Agencies, page 32 in your Explore Your Options directory, provide doctor-authorized care if you are on Medicare, especially after a hospital visit or change in health. Start with your doctor, but also see the list of home health agencies in the area that provide in-home care.

The KC Regional Home Care Association and Home Care Questions are also on page 32 in your Explore Your Options directory.

AAA In-Home Care Programs

If you are 60+ contact the Johnson County Area Agency on Aging at 913-715-8861 and ask about housekeeping, attendant care (bath aide), respite care to give a caregiver a break, medication management to set up meds for a week, or home-delivered meals.

Doctors and Nurses Who Make House Calls

See pages 29-31 in your Explore Your Options directory for Home Visits by Dr. Golf, MD Home Care, and Visiting Physicians Outreach.

Nurses from public health visit and do physical assessments, nutrition status, fall risk screening, disease education, and environmental safety checks. Call 913-826-1200.

How to Find Healthcare

Find a physical therapist on pages 29-31 in your Explore Your Options directory. Call the American Physical Therapy Association, Genesis Rehab Services or Ask-a-Nurse.

Find a hospital on page 31 in your Explore Your Options directory. Olathe Health offers a Find a Doctor service.

File of life is a handy magnetized file for your Vital Health Information from MED-ACT for your refrigerator or glove box. Call 913-715-1950 to get yours.

A Health Partnership Clinic provides medical, dental, and behavioral health care for the uninsured. Call 913-648- 2266.

Find dental care on page 19 and hearing and vision care on page 28 in your Explore Your Options directory.

Find veterans care on page 77 in your Explore Your Options directory. There are two VA hospitals, the Shawnee Clinic, the Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs in Overland Park for benefits, and Veterans Home-Based Primary Care.

Where to Find Reliable Health Information

How to Find Medical Equipment and Assistive Technology

  • Find medical equipment and assistive technology on pages 50-52 in your Explore Your Options directory.
  • Visit to search for Medicare supplies by zip code.
  • AccessKC (formerly known as Kansas City Medicine Cabinet) page 29 in your Explore Your Options directory, provides medical vouchers for non-controlled medical prescriptions, dental care such as a filing or root canal, durable medical equipment, optical needs, hearing aids, and diabetic supplies. Call 913-715-6653.
  • Donate or find affordable refurbished equipment at Accessibility Medical on page 50 and Kansas Equipment Exchange on page 51 in your Explore Your Options directory.

What are my health insurance options?

Are there support groups for my health issue?

Alcohol abuse, Alzheimer's, dementia, stroke, arthritis, cancer, caregiver, grief support, and widowed person support groups are listed on pages 69-70 in your Explore Your Options directory.

What about support and treatment for mental health issues?

Find clinics, hospitals, counselors, and Johnson County Mental Health Center on pages 57-59 in your Explore Your Options directory.

What if I’m not safe at home?

Learn how to fall-proof your home on page 61 in your Explore Your Options directory.

  • Physical, emotional, financial abuse or self-neglect: Call Adult Protective Services at 800-922-5330
  • Police, fire or ambulance: Call 911
  • Safe Home for Domestic Violence: Call 913-262-2868