On Tuesday, Aug. 18, Johnson County Department of Health and Environment Director Dr. Sanmi Areola provided a written update to the Board of County Commissioners.
Highlights from the briefing include:
- The number of cases per week increased significantly last week. We had 740 new infections last week, an 18% increase from the previous week.
- This translates to an average of 106 new infections per day, up from 90 new infections per day in the preceding two weeks.
- This puts us in the Red Zone, per White House criteria.
- The state of Kansas was recently categorized by the White House to be in the Red Zone.
- The positivity rate is climbing. This is typically consistent with increasing spread in the community.
- We need to continue work to decrease transmission as we prepare to reopen schools.