Program helps to pay past due water bills

If you are a Kansas resident and you’re behind on paying your water or Johnson County Wastewater bill, help is available.

The federally funded Emergency Water Assistance Program, facilitated through the Kansas Department for Children and Families, will provide a one-time financial benefit to qualifying Kansas households. This benefit will help restore or prevent disconnection of water by paying past due or disconnected drinking water or wastewater bills.

To qualify, households must earn less than 150% of the federal poverty level. For a single person, 150% of the poverty level amounts to a monthly income of no more than $1,699 or $2,289 for a household of two. For a household of four, it’s $3,469.

Kansas has been funded $9 million and the program ends when funds run out.

To learn more about this program, apply, or to see if you household qualifies, please visit