Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon


Phone: 913-715-8500

11811 S. Sunset Drive, Suite 2500, Olathe, Kansas 66061

You are here

About Us: Frequent Questions


Q: Am I located in the Johnson County Wastewater Service Area?

A: If your home or business is located in Countryside, Fairway, Lake Quivira, Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Westwood, or Westwood Hills, chances are you are in the Johnson County Wastewater service area. Johnson County Wastewater also serves businesses at the New Century Air Center in Gardner. If you are located in Mission Hills or Olathe, or need to know about a specific property, please call 913-715-8520.


Q: Is my home or property connected to the sanitary sewers?

A: To find out if a specific home or business is connected to Johnson County Wastewater's sewer system, please call 913-715-8520.

Q: Whom should I call if I have a sewer backup?

A: Please call 913-715-8600, 24/7. During normal business hours until 3:30 p.m., your questions will be answered by a collections section employee. Any other time, an answering service will take your call and immediately contact an on-call employee to respond. During heavy rain events, calls will be responded to in the order in which they are received.

Q: Whom should I call about odor problems in my home?

A: You may contact Johnson County Wastewater at 913-715-8600 to ask questions about odors. A collections section employee will answer your questions and, if needed, send a crew to your home. They will also be able to tell you if Johnson County Wastewater is cleaning lines in your area, causing a temporary odor.

Q: Do I call Johnson County Wastewater about storm sewer problems?

A: No. Johnson County Wastewater only provides sanitary sewer services. Storm sewers are maintained by the city in which they are located. Storm sewers are identified as the large grates in streets and near curbs. You should contact your city hall for questions or problems concerning storm sewers.

Water vs. Wastewater

Q: Are Johnson County Wastewater and WaterOne the same organization?

A: No. Johnson County Wastewater is a sanitary sewer provider in Johnson County, Kansas. We are a county department that operates under the Johnson County Board of Commissioners. WaterOne is a drinking water provider for Johnson County. They operate under their own governing board. You may contact them by calling 913-895-1800.

Q: What is the difference between storm water and wastewater?

A: Storm water is water from rain and other sources that drains into a street drainage system where it flows to streams and creeks. Storm water drainage systems help prevent flooding and bank erosion. These systems are typically maintained by the cities in Johnson County. Storm water services are provided by Johnson County Public Works in unincorporated areas of the county. Individual cities within the county provided storm water services for incorporated areas. Johnson County Wastewater does not provide storm water services. Wastewater is used water from homes and businesses. Johnson County Wastewater collects, transports, and treats wastewater before it is returned to streams and creeks.

Q: What may I dump down the sewer or my drains?

A: The only thing that should go down the sewer and drains are the very basic things for which the sewers and drains are intended. But if you’re looking for a list of what not to dump, the following is a good start:

  • Prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals
  • Hair
  • Rags and towels
  • Baby wipes
  • Diapers
  • Disposable toilet brushes
  • Syringes
  • Personal care products
  • Paint
  • Chemicals
  • Grease
  • Aquarium gravel
  • Kitty litter
  • Cotton swabs

Not only do these items, and a host of others, create sewer backups and overflows, they also cause backups in the public sewer pipes and at the local wastewater treatment plant. The related costs are then passed on to rate payers. Disposable doesn’t mean flushable, and even if it reads flushable, you are still safer and more environmentally correct to place it in the trashcan. It’s also a waste of water to flush or send down the drain those things which don’t belong there. Whatever ends up in the sewer can potentially impact the water environment. Remember, cleaner water and a healthier environment begins with you and how you choose to dispose of pharmaceuticals, household hazardous wastes, fats, oils, and grease, and trash. Controlling what goes through the sewer pipes is the easiest and most effective way to protect the environment and you can start today. To properly dispose of household chemicals, please contact Johnson County's Environmental Division at 913-715-6900 or click here for additional information on the location and hours of operation of the Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Site.


Q: What are Johnson County Wastewater’s statistics such as how many miles of sewer line the county has?

A: There are a couple of ways to find out. You can review our vital statistics or you may refer to the department's latest Annual Report.