Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Johnson County Aging & Human Services! Our volunteers are the heart of our programs.
Volunteering is for all ages. We have volunteers as young as infants who assist their parents delivering meals to volunteers who are 90+ on our team. At this time, Johnson County Aging & Human Services does not offer one-time volunteer experiences.
Due to COVID-19, some of the volunteer programs have been modfied.
- Home Delivered Meal Program (Meals on Wheels)
Provide a hot noon-day meal during your lunch hour. Volunteers deliver meals Monday – Friday from 10:45 am – 12 Noon. There are 54 volunteer routes daily. You can deliver as a team or an individual. Children are welcome to accompany parents or grandparents. Recruiting both regular (weekly/monthly) and substitute (as-needed) drivers. Volunteers deliver from one of eight centers: Blue Valley, De Soto, Gardner, Lenexa, Merriam, Olathe, Overland Park, & Spring Hill. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, drive their personal vehicle, attend a formal orientation, and complete a criminal background check.
Provide rides to seniors, those with a physical disability, or anyone in a life transition who do not drive and public transportation is difficult or impossible to use. Rides are provided to essential appointments in Johnson County such as medical, grocery store, or food pantries. Volunteers choose their schedules and geographical distance, they are willing to drive. Mileage reimbursement is available. Catch-a-Ride operates Monday – Friday from 8 am – 5 pm. Volunteers must be at least 25 years old, drive their personal vehicle, attend a formal orientation, and complete both a criminal background check and a motor vehicle check.
- Outreach Centers (Multi-Service Centers) Currently there is a waiting list to volunteer in the food pantry. Food drives are always welcome and needed.
- Locations: Gardner, Lenexa, & Mission,
- Host a food/hygiene drive
- Assist in the food pantry - filling client food orders, unloading donations, rotating donations, & checking for expiration dates.
- Pick-up and deliver donated products
- Our offices and food pantries are open Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old to volunteer independently in the food pantry and 12 years old to volunteer with a parent or guardian. All children volunteering in the food pantry must be approved by the Community Relations Manager. Volunteers must attend a formal volunteer orientation if volunteering in the food pantry. If hosting a food drive, no formal orientation is required.
- Locations: Gardner, Lenexa, & Mission,
Office Administration Opportunities with Office Administration are limited by staff needs. An email distribution list is created for those willing to participate in the program, when an opportunity or need arises.
Help with data entry, filing, answering phones, greeting clients, etc. in any of our Olathe office location. Our offices are open Monday – Friday from 8 am – 5 pm. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, attend a formal orientation, and complete a criminal background check.
Aging & Human Services offers opportunities for volunteers to assist us in our mission to provide essential human services to Johnson County residents.
Volunteer Services Team
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: Visit Us on Facebook
How do I become a volunteer?
We ask all first-time volunteers to attend a new-volunteer orientation, where they will learn about the history and mission of Aging & Human Services, receive information about each volunteer opportunity, and complete appropriate paperwork. General orientation is 1-2 hours in length. For volunteers who are gathering information - orientation is one hour. For volunteers who want to sign-up for Home Delivered Meals or Catch-a-Ride - orientation is two hours in length.
When volunteers receive an assignment, they will attend training for that specific program.
Who may volunteer?
Anyone - Our opportunities are available for all ages (with a parent or gaurdian) Many of our volunteers are retired individuals, college students, professionals, and stay-at-home moms and dads! Several volunteer opportunities are ideal for child-parent combinations.
We offer flexible hours to accommodate volunteer schedules depending on which program you are interested.
At this time, we do not offer one-day (one-time) or large group volunteer opportunities.
Could someone speak to my group or tell me more about Aging & Human Services' volunteer program?