Canceled Stale-Dated Checks
Generally, a “stale check” (also called a “stale-dated check”) is an uncashed check that is more than six months old.
Kansas statute 10-815 authorizes the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) to cancel “stale-dated” County-issued checks that are at least two years old.
Upon approval by the BOCC, all approved stale checks are canceled, but does not eliminate the underlying liability. If a payee presents a claim (with proper documentation of the debt) for a cancelled check, payment will be made from the General Fund where the unused funds reside.
How to Claim a Stale-Dated Check
- To review the stale check list, click here.
- Complete an Affidavit for Reissuance of Check Form, in its entirety. If the check amount is over $150, a notarized signature is required.
- Submit completed affidavit form to the Vendor Master, Tracey Caton, via one of the following methods.
- Email: [email protected]
- Fax: (913) 715-0577
- Mail: 111 S. Cherry St., Ste. 2400, Olathe, KS 66061
- Upon receipt of the completed affidavit form, please allow 5-7 business days for the process of a check reissuance.
*The stale checks on this list do not include refunds escheated to the State of Kansas. To review all escheated and unclaimed property with the State of Kansas, go to the Kansas State Treasurer’s Office.