Open Burning

open air burning of a field

As the designated agent for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) within the county, JCDHE enforces the state air quality regulations on open burning. These regulations are designed to protect human health and the environment.

JCDHE issues open burning exemptions in accordance with these regulations when prudent and necessary. Under these regulations, certain types of open burning do not require prior consent from JCDHE while others do require written approval. However, your local fire department, which operates on their local fire code, usually requires a burn permit. Always contact your local fire department for an open burning permit.

We also investigate open burning complaints to determine compliance with air quality regulations when they are received. Appropriate open burning investigations are referred to KDHE and/or local fire departments for possible enforcement action.

When high wind conditions occur, usually 15 miles per hour or higher, most area fire departments will not be issuing burn permits. During  dry or drought conditions, they may restrict open burning regardless of wind conditions. It's very important for you to contact your local fire department before you do any open burning.  

No Burn Approvals in April

Johnson County Department of Health & Environmental Department does not issue open burning approvals during the month of April.

Open Burning Exemptions

The exemption form should be returned by email, or by mailing it to our office at least five (5) business days prior to the start of the scheduled burning. You may also fax the completed form to 913-715-6970. Please complete all sections and write legibly.

Open burning application

You must include a map of the burn location with your application. A hand-drawn map is adequate, but must be legible and labeled. Try using Johnson County's Automated Information Mapping System or another online mapping program to pinpoint the burn location and print the map.

The signed application can be emailed, faxed to 913-715-6970, or mailed to:

Johnson County Department of Health and Environment
Air Quality Program
11811 S Sunset Drive, Suite 2700
Olathe, KS 66061