Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process to record a document?

In person: Our walk-in hours are Monday-Friday, 8am to 4:30pm, no appointment necessary. Documents are recorded over the counter and handed back with the recording stamp placed on them.

Mail: Submit the original documents along with payment to 111 S. Cherry St., Ste 1200, Olathe, KS 66061. Please include a stamped self-addressed return envelope.

Electronic: To record documents electronically, you must be set up with an electronic recording vendor and provide us with a completed Memorandum of Understanding form. Typically, this system is used by law offices and title companies that frequently record with Register of Deeds. For more information about electronic recording, please visit eRecording

The Register of Deeds cannot accept a document to record by email or fax.

How can I find out who owns a property?

Property ownership information can be found at Locations and Maps

Where can I find my property lines?

You can find approximate property dimensions at Locations and Maps. For exact dimensions, you may hire a private surveyor.

Can you tell me if a property is in foreclosure?

The foreclosure process goes through the Johnson County District Civil Court. You may contact them at 913-715-3400.

Properties on foreclosure auction on the courthouse steps go through the Johnson County Sheriff’s office. The list of properties up for auction can be found at Foreclosure Sale Information

Are there any liens on my property?

The Register of Deeds records liens such as mortgages, Homes Association liens, federal (IRS) tax liens, state employers (KS Dept of Labor) tax liens. To see what is recorded, you may use the public computer terminal in office or contact us at

The Johnson County District Civil Court records liens such as mechanics or builder’s liens, state (KS Dept of Revenue) tax liens. You may contact them for more information at 913-715-3400.

A title company can do a title search and check all the documents recorded on your property.

Where can I find a copy of the restrictions, declarations, bylaws, etc for my Homes Association?

You may use the public computer terminal in office to search those records. It is free of charge to use, any copies are 25 cents a page. Please email for an appointment to use the computer.

How do I find contact information or board members for my Homes Association?

The Register of Deeds does not keep or monitor this information.

How do I change my mailing address on my property?

You can change your mailing address by filling out the form. 

My name is wrong on my property. How do I get this fixed?

For any ownership discrepancies, please email

I have paid off my mortgage. How can I get my deed?

When a mortgage is paid off, the mortgage company will usually record a release of mortgage document with the Register of Deeds then forward the recorded release to the homeowner. The deed is included within the closing paperwork provided by the title company when the property is purchased. It is not held by the county or mortgage company. The Register of Deeds can provide a copy of the deed and/or release of mortgage documents by request.

How can I get a copy of my deed/document?

Documents are available by visiting our office or contacting us at

How can I change my name, add someone, or remove someone from my deed?

We cannot change a recorded document because it is a permanent record. To make a change to the deed, a new deed needs to be prepared and recorded. We recommend that you contact an attorney or title company for assistance. 

How do I add someone to my property in the event of my death?

To add a beneficiary to your property requires a Transfer on Death or Beneficiary deed. The form can be located on the Kansas Bar Association’s website or by a general Google search. It must be filled out, signed, and notarized before it can be recorded. The recording fee is $21 for the first page and $17 for each additional page.

How do I search or access documents online?

The Register of Deeds has a subscription service to access documents. Information is available at Public Records Subscription Services. You are also welcome to use the public computer terminal in office to search records. It is free of charge to use; copies are 25 cents a page. Please email for an appointment to use the computer.

How do I sign up for the fraud alert program?

Johnson County does not currently offer a fraud alert service.