Johnson County Senior and Disabled Veteran Tax Relief

An elderly Latino man holding a cane sits on a park bench

In 2023, the Board of County Commissioners authorized $500,000 in funding for Johnson County to provide a pilot program to offer property tax relief for low-income seniors and disabled veterans.

The program provides relief payments of up to $200 to offset the county’s portion of residential property taxes for those who qualify.

See if you qualify

In order to receive a payment, participants in the program must:

  • Be a resident of Johnson County
  • Own and occupy their home
  • Be age 65 or older or be a disabled veteran (100% or more military disability)
  • Have a home with a maximum 2023 appraised value of $384,600
  • Be current on property tax payments for their residence
  • Be at or below the Very Low income limits set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (see chart below).
    • Note: Income calculations should include 100% of Social Security Income and Supplemental Security Income payments. Disability payments through Social Security will be excluded.

Members in family









Income limits









Payment Specifications

The program is in a pilot stage in 2024, and the amount of relief available to those who qualify will depend on the number of qualifying applications received.

The funds available will be distributed among residents who qualify, but payments will not exceed $200 or the county’s portion of residents’ property tax bills. Payments will be distributed in the summer of 2024.

How to Claim Your Payment

The application window to receive the payment is open from Jan. 15 to April 15, 2024.

To apply, complete this application form and submit the form in person, by email or by mail.

If sending by mail, send to the address: 111 S. Cherry St., Suite 1200, Olathe, KS, 66061. Residents wishing to apply in person may do so at that address.

If submitting the application by email, please email

Residents should submit the completed form along with proof of income and/or a copy of their Veterans Affairs Award letter showing their disability rating.

Complete the Application

Additional Questions

Anyone with additional questions may call 913-715-2638 or email