Guides for Healthcare Professionals
The Johnson County Medical Examiner’s Office (MEO) has direct jurisdiction to investigate all sudden and unexpected natural deaths and all non-natural deaths under K.S.A 22a-231 and K.S.A. 22a-242a.
Examples of reportable deaths are as follows:
- Violent, suspicious and/or unusual deaths by homicide, suicide or accident, including deaths related to remote injuries
- Sudden deaths of persons in apparent good health or without a current healthcare provider
- Deaths that occur within police custody or within a correctional institution
- Deaths that pose a threat to public health (infectious disease)
- All infant and child deaths, ages 0 to 18 years.
If uncertain if the death is reportable, please report the death to the MEO, and staff will determine jurisdiction.