Job Application Process
Applying for a job is exciting! At Johnson County Government, our goal is to guide you through these steps and give you the best candidate experience possible.
To help you through your application, please complete this 5-step process below using a desktop or laptop computer.
1. Create an Account
From the Jobs Open to the Public Page
- Select the job title to review the job details.
- When you find a position you would like to apply for click on ‘Submit your Resume/CV to this Job’ at the bottom of the page.
- If you are a returning user, enter your e-mail and password to login in and apply for the position.
- If you are a first time user, select ‘Create new account and continue your application’.
- Enter your Account Information:
- If you have a Resume, you can upload it by selecting ‘Upload Resume/CV’. Select ‘browse’ and find where your resume is saved on your computer, then click ‘continue’. This will pre-populate some of your information; you will need to complete the rest.
- If you do not have a resume enter the required information in the fields.
- Click ‘Submit’.
2. Complete your Profile
- Enter your personal information and click ‘Next’.
- Enter your Education and Training information.
- Please list all education institutions attended including High School, Trade Schools and Colleges/Universities.
- To add additional educational institutions select ‘Add New Section’. Once all the information is added select ‘Next’
- Enter your employment history.
- List all employment for the last 10 years. Be sure to include more employment history if you have additional experience that is relevant to the position you are applying.
- Make sure to fill out all the required information accurately and completely.
- List out all your duties and responsibilities for each job. Do not put “see resume”, doing so will result in your application being considered incomplete.
- To add additional employers click ‘Add New Section’.
- Add professional references. These should be people who have known you in a professional capacity, not family members or friends. Select ‘Next’.
- Certification and Authorization
- Sign your application and select ‘Next’.
3. Apply for a Position
- Complete the screening questionnaire for the position and then click ‘Next’.
- Add a cover letter. (This step is optional.)
- To add a cover letter enter a name and the content for your letter, then select ‘Next’.
- If you do not wish to add a cover letter select ‘Skip Step’.
- Enter your Diversity Information. (This step is optional and information provided has no bearing on employment decisions.)
- To add your information use the drop down menus and then click ‘Next’.
- If you do not wish to add your information click ‘Skip Step’.
4. Complete your Skills Profile
- For each category indicate your skills by clicking on the check box next to the skill name.
- Use the drop down menus to choose your skill level, the length of time you have used that skill, and the last time it was used.
- Once you are finished select ‘Next’
5. Preview and Submit your Application
- Review your application.
- If you need to correct information select ‘Previous’ at the bottom of the screen until you reach the page that needs editing.
- If everything is correct, select ‘Finish’.
- When you select ‘Finish’ you will see a screen saying ‘Submission completed’. You will also receive a confirmation e-mail.
- If at any point you need to stop and complete your application at a later time, select ‘Finish Later’ at the bottom of the page.
- The next time you login to the system you will be taken to your Career Center page.
- Under ‘Items That Require Your Attention’ you will see a notice that you currently have an incomplete application in the system.
- Click on the link.
- To complete your application select the green arrow under ‘actions’.
- If you would like to withdraw your application from any positions to which you previously applied, go to your ‘Resume/CV Submission History’ and select ‘Remove Self from Consideration’ under ‘Actions.’
Frequent Application Questions
Do I need to have an e-mail address to apply for a position?
Yes, an e-mail address is required to apply for a position and create an account. The majority of communication during the application and hiring process is sent via e-mail. If you do not have an e-mail address you can set up a free account at Gmail, Yahoo, and various other service providers.
How do I make changes to my application?
Login to your account. Select ‘Resume/CV’ then click ‘Edit Resume/CV’. Make your updates and then select ‘Submit’.
How do I update my e-mail address or other account information?
Login to your account. Select ‘User Account Details’. To make changes select the pencil icon next to the heading ‘User Information’. Make your changes and click ‘Save’.
I am interested in a position that is listed as part-time, would I still be eligible for benefits?
It depends on how many hours per week the position is regularly scheduled. Please see our benefits page for a more detailed breakdown of the benefits available by job status.
I do not have regular internet access, how do I apply?
For free internet access you are welcome to visit the Human Resources office or any metro-area library. The Human Resources office is located at 111 S. Cherry Street Suite 2600, Olathe, KS 66061 and is open Monday – Friday from 8:00am - 4:00pm. For a listing of Johnson County Library locations and hours of operation, please visit the Johnson County Library’s website.
I saw a position on the job site, but it is no longer posted. Can I still submit my application?
No, we do not accept applications after the position has been closed.
If I am interested in a particular type of job, but I do not see any openings in that field listed on the website, may I still submit my application?
No, we only accept applications for current position openings, and do not review unsolicited applications. To set up an e-mail alert to notify you when a position is posted that may interest you, a Job Search Agent can be created from your account.
If there are other open positions that I might qualify for, will you forward on my application?
No, it is up to you to determine for which jobs you wish to apply.
May I apply for more than one position?
Yes, but you must submit an application for each position for which you want to apply.
How does "Veteran's Preference" in employment work with Johnson County?
Veterans who have been honorably discharged from the military may apply for Veteran’s Preference for all Civil Service positions. Civil Service positions include all sworn law enforcement jobs within the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office.
What should I do if I get an error message when trying to submit my application?
Our online application system supports all the major internet browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Microsoft Edge). If you are experiencing issues, you may want to try another browser. Make sure you have the latest version of the browser you are using.
When I click on the advertised posting, it takes me to a blank screen.
You may need to scroll up the page to find the content you are seeking.