Child in Foster Care

Under Kansas law, when a child is removed from a parent’s home and placed in the custody of another caregiver, the court is required to enter a child support order against one or both parents. The Court must enter a separate child support order against each parent. Kansas law requires the Court to apply the Kansas Child Support Guidelines.

Parent already has an order to pay child support

If a parent already has an order to pay child support (pursuant to a divorce order, for example), that is considered the controlling support order for that parent. A copy of the Court order will either be handed to the parent at the court proceeding, or, in some instances, sent by mail.

Child support to the State of Kansas continues for as long as the child is in the custody of the state. Refer to Department of Children and Families.