Juvenile Case Management

While a juvenile is in the custody of the Kansas Department of Corrections(KDOC) Juvenile Services Division, he/she will be assigned a case manager who is responsible for the placement and monitoring of the juvenile's needs and progress. The case manager will have ongoing contact with parents, placement providers, counselors, and school officials while responsible for the writing of a Case Supervision Plan which will guide the progress of the juvenile's treatment.

The case manager will meet with the juvenile as necessary and help guide the juvenile to a successful future, ideally to include reunification with the family. The supervision given by the case manager will include arranging for services for the juvenile and his/her family while the youth is in placement and upon his/her return home to help ensure the originating problem does not continue. After a period of stability, the case manager will ask the court to release the juvenile offender from KDOC custody. The time frame in which to achieve successful completion of programming and successful reintegration differs with the needs of each juvenile.

KDOC is responsible for payment of the majority of the costs associated with these services, in conjunction with Medicaid. However, this does not preclude the parents' rights and responsibilities to provide for their children. The State of Kansas has mandated that an order of support be implemented for every child who is placed into KDOC custody.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have to be in custody?

You were Court-ordered into custody of the Juvenile Justice Authority (JJA) for suitable placement on juvenile charges for which you have been adjudicated or have pending. The courts perceived your behavior and or needs warranted removal from the home

How long will I be in placement?

The length of your program will be dependent on how successful you are in your residential placement, at school, and in treatment.

What is a Case Supervision Plan?

Case Supervision Plans are required by JJA and the Court to document issues and goals you are to be working on while in custody. We have Case Supervision Plans so all parties ( parents, treatment providers, residential placement staff, case manager and yourself) can participate in formulating the goals you are to work on and show what needs to be addressed prior to release from custody. Case Supervision Plans are completed a minimum of every 180 days and/or whenever placement or goals change. 

Do I have to go back to court to get released from JJA Custody?

No. If you complete the goals of your Case Supervision Plans and any requirements from the Court, the case manager can request client's release from the Court’s jurisdiction without a hearing. 

Why do we have to pay child support while our child is in placement?

Child support is Court ordered when a client is placed in JJA Custody for suitable placement to offset the costs of placement for the child. For more information please contact the Court Trustees Office. 

What do the residential placements and JJA provide for my child?

The primary focus of JJA is your child. Therefore your child's emotional, mental, physical and educational needs are provided for. However, you are still the parent with parental rights and responsibilities to your child. Each child's needs are individually addressed.

What can I bring to my placement home?

You should bring your clothing, toiletry items and minimal personal belongings. Your parents can bring your clothes to you if needed. 

Why do we have to buy our son/daughter clothes while he/she is in placement when we pay child support?

Child support is Court ordered to offset the cost of placing your child in a facility. These costs do not include clothing that your child will need during the time he/she is in placement. 

Where can I be placed?

We strive to keep the child locally to include the parents in the child's treatment process. However, placement can occur anywhere in the state. There are several types of foster care and residential placements available. Placement will depend on the child's needs.