Card details many resources

Brandy Hodge, Communications, Administration and Outreach manager for the Johnson County Aging and Human Services (AHS) Department has been busy updating the department brochure and a “Johnson County Community Resources Card.”

The card features Helpful Phone Numbers and the website for MyRC to help link residents to essential resources in our community. Here’s a quick look at the resources featured on the card:

Aging Services administered by AHS, are available to Johnson County residents 60+. Services include information & referral, nutrition (Home Delivered Meals, CHAMPSS, neighborhood centers), caregiver support, in-home services (housekeeping, medication management, counseling, respite care and personal emergency response monitoring), legal services and Medicaid/KanCare assessments. 913-715-8861.

Catch-a-Ride: Catch-a- Ride (CaR) is a Johnson County AHS program that provides volunteer transportation to medical appointments, food pantries and social service agencies in Johnson County. CaR is for residents who are 60+, have a physical disability or 18+ who are in a short-term life transition and currently do not drive. CaR is NOT same day or emergency transportation. Riders must apply and be accepted to receive services. CaR operates Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. 913-715-8900.

Food Pantry/Utility Assistance: Food pantry and utility assistance are available through Johnson County AHS. Qualified residents can visit the food pantries once every 30 days. Financial assistance is available for qualifying households (low income) to assist with past due utility bills or payment plans. 913-715-6653.

Home Repair Assistance: Johnson County Housing Services has home repair programs available for homeowners to comply with housing codes and address health and safety issues or accessibility modifications. Examples include roof replacement, replace HVAC, replace water lines and heaters, install wheelchair access ramps, repair windows and doors, install handrails, address lead-based paint, etc. 913-715-6612.

Department of Health and Environment: Provides outreach nurse for aging adults, free COVID-19 testing, immunizations such as COVID-19 vaccinations and flu vaccinations, the WIC (Women Infant and Children) program, and STD and pregnancy testing. 913-826-1200.

Mental Health: Available 24/7 for crisis needs or scheduled appointments. Johnson County Mental Health offers a wide range of mental health and substance abuse services. 913-268-0156.

Domestic Violence: Kansas City metro hotline available 24/7. Information is available on housing, financial aid, medical aid, counseling services and shelters. 816-468-5463.

RideKC Transit: Residents can use RideKC bus routes or RideKC MicroTransit with $1.50 fares in select service areas. RideKC Freedom is an ADA regional paratransit service that offers affordable curb-to-curb transportation for registered disabled or aging adults. 816-221-0660.

United Way (homeless): Individuals who need emergency shelter or homeless services can connect to agencies by calling the United Way. In Johnson County, there are three homeless hubs: Catholic Charities (Overland Park), Salvation Army (Olathe) and Johnson County Mental Health (Shawnee). 816-474-5112 or 211.

Adult/Child Protective Services: The Kansas Department for Children and Families oversees the program to report adult or child abuse, neglect or exploitation. 800-922-5330. Resource cards and AHS brochures are available at the Aging and Human Services Olathe office, 11811 S. Sunset, Suite 1300. 913-715-8800.

A contact card with a photo of a family and the words Aging & Human Services.