Submit Public Comment to the Board of County Commissioners
Changes to Public Comment
Beginning with the Jan. 12, 2023 Board of County Commissioners meeting, there will be a few modifications to public comments.
Making public comments during the beginning of the meeting or for a specific agenda item can now only be made in person or in writing. The option to speak via Zoom is no longer available. In addition, the public comment period at the beginning of the meeting will no longer be broadcast during the meeting livestream nor recorded.
The public must register for making public comments at the beginning of the meeting or for a specific agenda item in advance of the meeting. Complete the online registration form by noon the day prior to the meeting or sign up to speak in person by 9:20 a.m. prior to the meeting.
You can provide public comments to the Board of County Commissioners through several different methods. This includes opportunities to speak in person during BOCC meetings, submit written comment for the meetings, or contact your commissioner individually.
In addition to the option to attend BOCC meetings in person, live broadcasts of the meetings are also available through our online meeting portal and our YouTube channel. You can also find meeting dates, times and agendas on our meeting portal.
Registering for the Public Comment Period or Speaking on Agenda Items
During Board of County Commissioners meetings, you can provide public comments, in person only, during the public comment period at the beginning of the meeting or on a specific agenda item. You can register to speak for either through the following ways:
- Submit the registration form online by noon the Wednesday prior to the meeting. Online registration opens Tuesday afternoon/evening, coinciding with publishing the agenda.
- Sign up in person by 9:20 a.m. prior to the meeting.
Public Comment Process
Speakers will be limited to two minutes each. If needed, the BOCC has established a limit of 50 speakers for general public comments or for a specific agenda item, if the Chairman so chooses.
The Chairman may modify these procedures as needed to conduct an orderly and efficient meeting.
If registered in advance by the deadlines mentioned above, the public can speak on a specific agenda item. Or, the public comment period provides the public a forum to address the BOCC on matters that pertain to or involve the Johnson County Government, but which do not appear on the printed agenda.
Please keep these speaking guidelines in mind:
- Speakers are encouraged to be professional, concise, courteous and respectful.
- Comments should be addressed to the BOCC as a whole.
- Speakers are encouraged to not make personal attacks.
- Speakers should refrain from obscene, profane, slanderous, insulting or threatening remarks.
- Speakers should avoid repeating prior speakers.
- Speakers who agree with or wish to make the same comments as a previous speaker should simply state their agreement with the comments of that previous speaker.
- Due to the use of county equipment, funds, and supplies, political campaigning and commercial advertisements are not allowed.
If you would like to submit written public comment for the meeting, please use this form. Written comments received by noon Wednesday will be shared with the entire board prior to the meeting. Written comments will not be read into the record during the meeting. If you are unable to use the form below, you may call 913-715-0424, and we will record your information.
If you want to contact a commissioner and don’t want your comments included in the public comments for a board meeting, please contact them directly. Emails you send to commissioners may be subject to disclosure under the Kansas Open Records Act.