Winter Weather Guide

Snow and trees

Snow and ice are regular features of Kansas winters. Any time the temperature drops below freezing, there's a chance snow and ice may follow. Not only do these conditions make travel more dangerous, but the extreme cold can also be a risk to your health.

We want to make sure you're prepared for all types of winter weather hazards. Follow this guide for up-to-date information on closures and cancellations, as well as tips to stay safe and warm when it's cold outside.

Closings, Cancellations and Delays

Department Events
There are no impacts at this time. There are no impacts at this time.

Snow Removal for Unincorporated Roads

Red snowplow plowing a snow-covered street

Johnson County Public Works plow roads in unincorporated areas of the county.

Public Works' process for snow removal in unincorporated areas with these priorities:

  • Arterial roads and those with hills, bridges, shaded driving surfaces or super elevated curves receive first priority.
  • Crews will begin on collector roadways and residential streets once arterials are complete.
  • Gravel roads will only be plowed when snow accumulations exceed three inches.

Use the search tool below to find out if you live in unincorporated Johnson County.


Snow Removal for City Roads

If you live in a Johnson County city, your city handles snow and ice removal. Please refer to your city's website for information and questions regarding snow operations:

Warming Centers in Johnson County

White library building with the words Johnson County Library on the front.

During extreme cold, warming centers are open throughout Johnson County. If you are unable to access heating where you are, you can visit these locations to warm up.


Johnson County Library's branches are accessible as warming centers during normal business hours. Visit library locations or call 913-826-4600 for hours at each location.

Additionally, both locations of the Olathe Public Library serve as warming centers. View library hours and locations.

RideKC Warming Bus

When the temperature drops below 10 degrees, RideKC warming buses will be stationed at the Mission Transit Center as needed and as staffing allows.

City of Overland Park

The City of Overland Park has public places in many of its buildings where people can come in during business hours and warm up, including:

  • City Hall lobby, 8500 Santa Fe Dr, Overland Park
  • Matt Ross Community Center, 8101 Marty St, Overland Park, 913-895-6350
  • Tomahawk Ridge Community Center, 11902 Lowell Ave, Overland Park, 913-327-6644

Powell Community Center

The Powell Community Center, 6200 Martway St. Mission, 913-722-8200, is available during regular business hours.

Salvation Army Guest Hospitality Center

The Salvation Army offers a warming center at its Guest Hospitality Center, 420 E. Santa Fe, Olathe. Hours are Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-noon and 1-4:30 p.m. and Friday, 8:30 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m. It's closed for holidays on Dec. 20, 21, 25 and 29, Jan. 1 and 15, and Feb. 19.

Other Resources

Winter Weather Safety Tips

Woman in a coat and scarf shivering

Watch for cold weather health issues

Serious health problems can result from prolonged exposure to the cold. The most common cold-related problems are hypothermia and frostbite.


Prolonged exposure to cold will eventually use up your body’s stored energy. The result is hypothermia, or abnormally low body temperature. Body temperature that is too low affects the brain, making the victim unable to think clearly or move well.

If you notice any of these signs, take the person’s temperature. If it is below 95°, the situation is an emergency—seek medical attention immediately.

  • Shivering, exhaustion
  • Confusion, fumbling hands
  • Memory loss, slurred speech
  • Drowsiness


Frostbite causes a loss of feeling and color in affected areas. It most often affects the nose, ears, cheeks, chin, fingers, or toes. Frostbite can permanently damage the body, and severe cases can lead to amputation.

The risk of frostbite is increased in people with reduced blood circulation and among people who are not dressed properly for extremely cold temperatures.

At the first signs of redness or pain in any skin area, get out of the cold or protect any exposed skin—frostbite may be beginning. Any of the following signs may indicate frostbite:

  • A white or grayish-yellow skin area
  • Skin that feels unusually firm or waxy
  • Numbness

Stay safe while outdoors

Cold weather puts an extra strain on the heart. If you have heart disease or high blood pressure, follow your doctor’s advice about shoveling snow or performing other hard work in the cold. If you must do heavy outdoor chores, dress warmly and work slowly.

The ability to feel a change in temperature decreases with age, and older people are more susceptible to health problems caused by cold. Older adults often make less body heat because of a slower metabolism and less physical activity.

If you are over 65 years of age, check the temperature in your home often during severely cold weather. Also, check on elderly friends and neighbors frequently to ensure that their homes are adequately heated.

Dress for the elements

When the weather is extremely cold, and especially if there are high winds, try to stay indoors. Make any trips outside as brief as possible, dress warmly and stay dry. Wear...

  • A hat
  • A scarf or knit mask to cover face and mouth
  • Sleeves that are snug at the wrist
  • Mittens (they are warmer than gloves)
  • Water-resistant coat and boots
  • Several layers of loose-fitting clothing

Be sure the outer layer of your clothing is tightly woven, preferably wind resistant, to reduce body-heat loss caused by wind. Wool, silk, or polypropylene inner layers of clothing will hold more body heat than cotton.

Stay dry—wet clothing chills the body rapidly. Excess perspiration will increase heat loss, so remove extra layers of clothing whenever you feel too warm.

Local Media


The latest emergency response information from the local news media. Please turn to them for the most current information.


Local radio stations providing the most current weather information.  Tune in to them for the most current information.