Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance available

Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance (KERA) has more than $18 million in funds for rental and utility assistance available to support Johnson County residents. Households can be eligible for up to one year of rental assistance (past due or future) and/or up to one year of late/past due utilities.

If you need help filling out the application, please call or email any of these agencies:

Jewish Family Services: 913-327-8250
Catholic Charities – Overland Park: 913-384-6608
Catholic Charities – Olathe: 913-782-4077
Salvation Army – Olathe Corp: 913-782-3640
El Centro: 913-677-0100

To be eligible, households:

  • Must be renting
  • Make less than 80% of Area Median Income (for example, $61,950/yr for a family of three)
  • At least one member of the household must be experiencing a financial hardship directly or indirectly related to the COVID-19 virus (loss of employment, medical costs related to COVID, childcare costs, etc.)
  • At least one member of the household must have late or past due rent or utilities

For utility assistance, households can apply directly for assistance through KERA and, if approved, utility providers will be paid directly. Utility assistance includes overdue utility charges, disconnect and reconnect fees.

For rental assistance, there are two parts to the application: one that the household/renter fills out and one that the landlord fills out. You can fill these out at the same time or separately. Rental assistance can be for back rent AND new rental charges. Payments are made directly to your account with your landlord.

All - General