Kansas City Chiefs’ victory parade: Johnson County transit and safety plans
If you’re looking to take your valentine to the Chiefs’ parade starting at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 14, one option is the Johnson County Transit system.
While both Freedom (Special Edition) and SWIFT service will operate as normal, there will be no other RideKC transit service in Johnson County on the day of the parade.
Free shuttle service to downtown Kansas City, Missouri, will run from one park-and-ride location:
- Johnson County riders can get a lift at the Oak Park Mall park-and-ride location, 11149 W. 95th St., Overland Park. The pickup site will be on the east side of the mall parking lot. Riders should follow the direction of staff and signage at the mall to park and board the buses.
- People should park at the mall and walk over to catch the bus.
- Shuttle service will begin at 7 a.m. on the day of the parade. The last trip to the parade will leave at 10 a.m. If you’re not on a bus by 10 a.m., you won’t be able to ride.
- Passengers will be dropped off on Southwest Boulevard and should return to 25th and Southwest Boulevard to ride back to Oak Park Mall.
- Return trips to Johnson County will begin at noon and continue until 4 p.m.
- There will be portable toilets at the Oak Park location.
Riders should be prepared for significant wait times to board a shuttle. Because traffic is expected to be heavy, it is estimated that a single round trip will run at least 90 minutes.
Keeping revelers safe
Johnson County’s Emergency Operations Center will work in coordination with KCMO and WyCo Emergency Management to monitor the parade location throughout the day.
In addition, Johnson County MED-ACT is working with local and regional partners in support of the parade efforts and will provide two staffed ambulances. The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office will provide support as well.
Details from KCMO about the parade and victory celebration
- Go to sportkc.org/chiefsparade for all the parade details.
- The parade will start at 11 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 14. The parade will kick off at 11 a.m. at 6th Street and Grand Boulevard, heading south on Grand Boulevard, west on Pershing Road, north on Main, culminating at Union Station. The parade will last approximately 1.5 hours.
- The rally will begin at approximately 12:45 p.m. in front of Union Station and the National World War I Museum and Memorial north lawn. The rally will last approximately 1 hour.
- For the most updated information on transit, public safety and other news relating to the Chiefs Kingdom Champions Parade, sign up to receive notifications from ALERTKC by texting “KCPARADE” to 888-777.