Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Department of Corrections

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions - CINC

What is a Child In Need of Care OR CINC?

A Child in Need of Care, otherwise known as a CINC, is defined as a person under 18 years of age who:

  1. is without adequate parental care, control or subsistence and the condition is not ue solely to the lack of financial means of the child's parents or other custodian;
  2. is without the care or control necessary for the child's physical, mental or emotional health;
  3. has been physically, mentally or emotionally abused or neglected or sexually abused;
  4. has been placed for care or adoption in violation of law;
  5. has been abandoned or does not have a known living parent;
  6. is not attending school as required by K.S.A. 72-977 or 72-1111 and amendments thereto;
  7. except in the case of a violation of K.S.A. 21-4204a, 41-727, subsection (j) of K.S.A. 74-8810 or subsection (m) or (n) of K.S.A. 79-3321, and amendments  thereto, or, except as provided in paragraph (12), does an act which, when committed by a person under 18 years of age, is prohibited by state law, city ordinance or county resolution but which is not prohibited when done by an adult;
  8. While less than 10 years of age, commits any act which if done by an adult would constitute the commission of a felony or misdemeanor as defined by K.S.A. 21-3105, and amendments thereto;
  9. is willfully and voluntarily absent from the child's home without the consent of the child's parent or other custodian;
  10. is willfully and voluntarily absent at least a second time from a court ordered or designated placement, or a placement pursuant to court order, if the absence is without the consent of the person with whom the child is placed or, if the child is placed in a facility, without the consent of the person in charge of such facility or such person's designee;
  11. has been residing in the same residence with a sibling or another person under 18 years of age, who has been physically, mentally or emotionally abused or neglected, or sexually abused;
  12. while less than 10 years of age commits the offense defined in K.S.A. 21-4204a, and amendments thereto; or
  13. has had a permanent custodian appointed and the permanent custodian is no longer able or willing to serve.

How is Juvenile Intake and Assessment accessed?

Police Drop Off: Juvenile Intake and Assessment Services are primarily accessed through law enforcement agencies transporting a Child in Need of Care directly to designated JIAC’s across the State. There are 32 Juvenile Intake Assessment Centers across the State of Kansas. Johnson County Department of Corrections provides Juvenile Intake services for any Child in Need of Care taken into custody by law enforcement agencies in Johnson County, KS.

Notice and Agreement to Appear: In some cases, law enforcement officers have the discretion to either transport directly to JIAC or release to parents with a Notice and Agreement to Appear, otherwise known as NTA. Unlike the alleged Juvenile Offender NTA (see NTA process under Court Services tab), Child in Need of Care NTA’s are voluntary. In these cases, law enforcement believes that the issue at hand does not rise to the direct transport of the youth to JIAC, instead, parent(s) or guardian(s), can call and set up an assessment around their own schedule.

Walk-Ins: Parent(s) or guardian(s) have the same option to receive JIAC services by walking in to Juvenile Intake and Assessment and asking for an Intake Specialist to help them. However, there may be other police drop off or NTA cases that Intake Specialists are already assessing. This should not deter you from coming in and getting help, but a phone call ahead of time may prevent you from being turned away and asked to come back.

Who does Juvenile Intake and Assessment serve?

We serve any youth ages 0 to 17 who are classified as Children in Need of Care (see CINC definition) or who are at risk for becoming Children in Need of Care. Common at-risk behaviors we see through Juvenile Intake and Assessment are:

  • Running Away
  • Ungovernable behavior – defiance, not following basic house rules such as curfew
  • Truancy and other school behavior issues
  • Substance Abuse issues
  • Mental Health issues, including cutting and suicidal ideations
  • Anger and hostile behaviors
  • Sexually Acting Out
  • Abuse – Intake Specialists are mandated reporters
  • Neglect – Intake Specialists are mandated reporters

What is mandatory reporting?

Intake Specialists are individuals who hold a professional position (as of social worker, physician, teacher, or counselor) that requires him or her to report to the appropriate state agency cases of child abuse that he or she has reasonable cause to suspect.

Will JIAC notify my child's school about this arrest?

No. JIAC staff do not contact school personnel. Nonetheless, your child's arrest is a matter of public record and may be known to the School Resource Officer (SRO).

What happens when my child is at Juvenile Intake and Assessment?

A Juvenile Intake Specialist will notify the parent or guardian. The Intake Specialist will interview you and your child and collect the following information:

  • Family History
  • Criminal History, including indications of gang involvement
  • Educational History
  • Medical History
  • Abuse History
  • Prior Community Services used or treatments provided
  • Standardized risk assessment tool for youth 12 and older
  • Interests, Activities, Hobbies
  • Strengths and Needs of youth and family

The youth can refuse to take the assessment at any time. The information from the assessment is deemed confidential until a Judge or Intake and Assessment Director releases information to selected parties identified by K.S.A. 38-2310. Some examples are the District Attorney’s Office, SRS, and probation officers.

Once the information is gathered, the Intake Specialist may:

  • Release the youth to: the custody of a parent, other legal guardian or an appropriate adult if the Intake Specialist believes that it would be in the best interest of the youth and not harmful to the youth to do so.
  • Conditionally release the youth to a parent, other legal guardian or an appropriate adult if the Intake Specialist believes that if the conditions are met it would be in the youth’s best interest, and it might be harmful to release the youth without imposing conditions.
  • Deliver the child to a shelter facility or licensed attendant care center.
  • Refer the child to the county or district attorney for appropriate proceedings to be filed or refer the youth and family to Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) for investigation in regard to the allegations.
  • Make recommendations to the county or district attorney concerning immediate intervention programs.

What does it mean when my child is placed in PPC?

PPC stands for Police Protective Custody. This is a 72-hour time period, excluding weekends and holidays, where law enforcement has determined that a child is in imminent danger or a perpetrator has access to the child or the non-involved parent is unable to protect the child from harm. When a child is placed in Police Protective Custody, law enforcement directly transports the child to Juvenile Intake and Assessment. Once the intake process is completed, a placement decision is made and the child will be transported to a safe and appropriate destination. The 72-hour time period is set for SRS and law enforcement to investigate the allegations.

Who do I contact the day after my child is placed in PPC?

A parent can call Juvenile Intake and speak to an Intake Specialist from 8am-10pm, Monday through Friday, and from 10am-10pm on Saturday and Sunday. However, once a child is placed in Police Protective Custody a temporary custody hearing is set by the Court. Temporary custody hearings are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Court will notify all parties involved regarding the upcoming court date, time and location. The Court will then make the decision to release from Police Protective Custody or not. An SRS social worker will also make contact with the family during the 72-hour time period as part of their investigation.

The intake process is not for criminal investigation or for investigations into abuse and neglect allegations as those are completed by law enforcement or SRS. The intake information can only be used to help the Court with a decision regarding the disposition of the youth and cannot be entered into evidence or used in an adjudication hearing as identified in K.S.A. 75-7023.

Is there a fee for this service?

No. Juvenile Intake and Assessment is a free and voluntary service.

What are Juvenile Intake and Assessment Center hours of operation?

Juvenile Intake and Assessment is available to law enforcement 24-hours a day, seven days a week. An Intake Specialist is on-site from 8am to 10pm, Monday through Friday, and then also Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 10pm.

Where is Child in Need of Care Juvenile Intake and Assessment located?

The Child in Need of Care section of Juvenile Intake is located within the Johnson County Youth and Family Services Center, 920 W. Spruce, Olathe, KS and can be reached at 913-715-7320.