Patrol FAQ

Can I discharge a firearm in the county?

As long as you are in the unincorporated part of the county and you have permission from the landowner. Remember to be safe and consider the direction of the round being fired. If any people, dwellings, businesses or livestock are within striking distance of the rounds being fired, it is advisable to find a different location. IT IS A VIOLATION OF STATE LAW TO HUNT OR DISCHARGE A FIREARM ON ANY COUNTY ROADWAY INCLUDING ROAD SIGNS. 

Do I have to have my dog on a leash while I am in the county?

Currently, there is no leash law in the unincorporated area of Johnson County. If you reside in the City of De Soto or the City of Edgerton there is an ordinance where you have to have a canine on a leash. If you are aware your canine is aggressive it is your responsibility to keep the canine on a leash and prevent it from being aggressive to others. 

Will the Sheriff’s Office pick up wild animals, such as raccoons and squirrels, which are in a residence?

The Sheriff’s Office will not pick up wild animals, but can assist by providing telephone numbers to wildlife control companies. 

What is the grace period for renewing vehicle license plates?

There is no grace period. You have an entire month to register your vehicle when the tag comes up for renewal. There are some exceptions to this rule as governed by state law but not for passenger cars, motorcycles and pick up trucks. 

How do I get a Child Seat Inspected?

Deputies, certified as Child Safety Seat Technicians inspect child seats by appointment only. Please email the Community Policing Unit at or call 913-715-5400 to schedule an inspection. 

Is there public land available for use for target practice, or All-Terrain Vehicles in Johnson County?

No, all land in Johnson County is privately owned or otherwise not available for use for the activities described. 

Are fines and court costs the same in areas the Sheriff’s Office patrols?

No, the fines and court costs are different for the District Court and the municipal courts of De Soto and Edgerton. 

Will I get charged if I set off my residential alarm on accident?

The Sheriff’s Office does not charge on accidental alarms. 

If I lock my keys in my car can you assist in opening it?

The Sheriff’s Office will assist in opening a car with the keys locked in it. The reporting party will have to provide ownership and complete a waiver.