WIC (Women, Infants and Children)
WIC is a supplemental food and nutrition education program that provides services to Kansas families who qualify.
WIC’s goal is to help keep pregnant and breastfeeding women, new moms, and kids under age 5 healthy. To do this, WIC provides:
- Personalized nutrition information and support
- Checks to buy healthy food
- Tips for eating well to improve health
- Referrals for services that can benefit the whole family
WIC also offers immunization screening and referral, breastfeeding support, and nutrition and health classes on a variety of topics including meal planning, maintaining a healthy weight, picky eaters, caring for a new baby, shopping on a budget and more.
We encourage you to take advantage of all that WIC offers. These topics can all be found on the menu on the left.
- WIC Consultations - Find appointment hours, locations and eligibility guidelines.
- Food Packages - To prevent or correct nutrition-related health problems caused by poor nutrition, the WIC program: provides nutritious food vouchers to supplement participants' diets, provides nutrition education to increase the participants' understanding of nutrition, and encourages regular healthcare and making appropriate referrals.
- Breastfeeding - Breastfeeding is convenient, saves in infant feeding costs, and provides your baby will all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and strong. Breastfeeding - best for mothers - best for children.
- Take on Ten - This program encourages area hospitals to become "baby friendly" and and provide them with resources to guide them through the process. The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) was developed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF to help promote breastfeeding in the hospital setting and serve as a resource for mothers to get knowledgeable breastfeeding support.
- Food Guide Information - Have you ever wondered what's in a serving?
- WIC Community Garden - The WIC Community Garden will educate, empower and feed the clients in the Kansas WIC program.
If you have any questions or concerns about breastfeeding, call the Olathe WIC office at (913) 477-8330 or the Mission WIC office at (913) 826-1302 and ask to speak to a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor.
- Kansas Department of Health & Environment – Nutrition & WIC Services
- Kansas WIC Program Fact Sheet
- Nutrition Education Materials - state website for specific nutrition education handouts in both English and Spanish.
- WIC Health.org - on-line nutrition education website just for WIC clients.
- Baby Steps to Home - a guide to prepare NICU parents for home
- WIC Program Overview - Information about the WIC Program for medical professionals