Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

You are here

Adult Immunizations

The need for immunization doesn't end with childhood. Adults also need vaccines to protect against disease.

What to Bring with You

  • Your immunization record
  • Insurance card

Immunization Clinic Hours (Olathe & Mission)

The Mission immunization clinic is closed daily from 12:30-1:30 p.m.; the Olathe clinic remains open.

  • Monday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
  • Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • 1st, 3rd and 5th Friday (Olathe) - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Mission - CLOSED
  • 2nd and 4th Friday (Olathe) - 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.; Mission - CLOSED

If you need a copy of your immunization records, call 913-826-1200 or send an email to MedicalRecords-DHE@jocogov.org.

Adolescents and Adults:  Take this quiz to find out which vaccines YOU may need. This quiz provides information for people age 11 years and older.

Do You Know Which Adult Vaccines You Might Need?

Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule

Vaccines for Adults (Fact Sheet)

Adult Immunizations Offered and Vaccine Prices

  • Chickenpox (Varicella)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • HPV (Gardasil) 4 and (Gardasil) 9
  • Influenza (Seasonal Flu)
  • Measles/Mumps/Rubella
  • Meningitis: Menomune/Menactra, Trumenba
  • Polio
  • Pneumo 13
  • Pneumococcal
  • TB Test
  • Tetanus diphtheria/Tdap
  • Typhoid Vi
  • Prescription for Oral Typhoid
  • Shingles (Zostavax, age 60+)

GARDASIL - Please call for vaccine availability. See the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention for more information.

Immunization Consent Form

A written consent form is required for all immunizations. A parent or guardian must provide a written consent form for children under 18. Please bring child's current immunization record to the visit.

JCDHE is a KanCare provider for all managed care organizations: Amerigroup, Sunflower and United Community. JCDHE also accepts private insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City, Cigna, Coventry and UnitedHealthcare. We do not take insurance from Coventry Advantra or Humana Gold Plus. Many of the services JCDHE offers are covered by insurance; check your health benefit plan to confirm coverage for payment of services.

JCDHE also accepts cash, check, credit or debit card as payment for clients who are without insurance or who carry other insurance plans.

Private pay immunizations have to be paid at the time of service. Price is subject to change based on cost of vaccine.

Blood Pressure Clinics

nurse taking blood pressure

Blood pressure clinics are provided by JCDHE's Registered Nurses at various locations throughout Johnson County. For more information, contact Dawn Mangan at (913) 826-1228 or e-mail to dawn.mangan@jocogov.org.

Download current schedule




Johnson County Administration Building, 111 S. Cherry St., Olathe (1st Monday, 8-9:30 a.m.)

Sunset Drive Office Building, 11811 S. Sunset Dr., Olathe (1st Monday, 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)

North Central Multi-Service Center, 12425 W. 87th St., Lenexa (1st Wednesday, 8:30-9:30 a.m.)

Shawnee Methodist Church, 10700 Johnson Dr., Shawnee (2nd Monday, 10:45-11:45 a.m.)

Johnson County Central Resource Library, 9875 W. 87th St., Overland Park (2nd Wednesday, 10-11:30 a.m.)

Matt Ross Community Center, 8101 Marty, Overland Park (3rd Monday, 10:30-11:45 a.m.)

Lenexa Senior Center, 13425 Walnut, Lenexa (3rd Tuesday, 10:30-11:30 a.m.)

The Gardens at Creekside, 16110 W. 133rd St., Olathe (4th Monday, 2:30-4 p.m.)

Sunflower Apartments, 10200 W. 62nd St., Merriam (4th Wednesday, 1:30-2:30 p.m.)


For mother, breastfeeding:

  • Is convenient; there's nothing to buy, carry, heat or measure
  • Gives you time and helps you relax
  • Speeds up postpartum healing
  • Saves up to $2,000/year in feeding costs

For baby, breastfeeding:

  • Provides all the nutrients needed and in the right amounts
  • Causes less spit up and stomachaches because it's so easy to digest
  • Lowers risks of allergies, earaches, weight problems, SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), and other childhood illnesses

What real Johnson County mothers say about breastfeeding:

“I love the closeness that breastfeeding gives my son and I. He wasn’t always easy at first, but since I never gave up it has paid off tenfold. It really makes motherhood that much more special.”

“I really enjoy breastfeeding my twins since I have two babies. It is nice to get to spend some alone time with each of them.”

“I enjoy breastfeeding because it’s quick and convenient for me, but more importantly, it’s beneficial for my child and his health.”

“Breastfeeding has single-handedly been the best experience of my life. My two girls have never been sick, had ear infections and are already smart and gifted for their ages! I love it with all my heart!”

If you have any questions or concerns about breastfeeding, call the WIC office and ask to speak to a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. Watch the video below to find out more about the services Breastfeeding Peer Counselors provide to WIC clients.

If you have any questions or concerns about breastfeeding, call the Olathe WIC office at (913) 477-8330 or the Mission WIC office at (913) 826-1302 and ask to speak to a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor or visit the La Leche League site.

Classes for WIC Participants

Please join us for a FREE breastfeeding class!  Classes are held at our locations in Olathe and Mission. Click the link below for class information, dates, and maps.

You must be a current WIC client to enroll in our breastfeeding class. Register for classes here.

2017 Class Schedule
Horario de clases de 2017

2018 Class Schedule
Horario de clases de 2018

Kansas Breastfeeding Friendly Practice Designation

Kansas Breastfeeding Friendly Practice Designation LogoThe Kansas Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics with the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition has created this designation that can be earned by medical providers in Kansas who offer breastfeeding support and encouragement to mothers and babies. 

Child Care Classes

Johnson County Department of Health and Environment Course Registration:

Register for Classes

Child Care FAQs

children asking questionsHere are answers to the questions that we receive from child care providers and parents.

Where is the Child Care Licensing Office located?
We are located in Suite 2700 of the Sunset Drive Office Building in Olathe on the corner of Ridgeview and 119th Street. Our address is 11811 S Sunset Drive, Suite 2700, Olathe, KS 66061. Our phone number is (913) 477-8339 and fax number is 913-477-8035. If you are coming to the office, we are located on the second floor.

Questions about Licensing and Renewal

How do I start the process of licensing a day care center or facility?
You need to contact Eldonna Chesnut at (913) 477-8366 to set up an appointment for a one-on-one meeting.

Who do I call to ask about starting an in-home daycare business?
Please call (913) 477-8339 to talk with our staff.

What type of home can be used for home childcare in Johnson County?
If you are thinking of starting an in-home child care business, you need to contact your city. Cities have different requirements and regulations which they will explain to you. You will also need to contact your fire department to make sure that your home meets their requirements.

Under what circumstances does Kansas law NOT require a license for child care?
There are four circumstances where licensing is not required. 1) when child care is provided for not more than two children unrelated to the provider for 20 hours per week or less and the home has not been closed as a result of enforcement action. Total time is determined by adding the hours each child is cared for weekly. 2) when irregular child care is arranged between friends and neighbors on an exchange basis. 3) when child care is provided in the child's own home. 4) when the child care is provided in the home of the child's relative.

Can I keep my home daycare license current even though I'm closing my daycare?
Yes, but you will be subject to an annual inspection including meeting required trainings and regulations. Best practice would be to close and re-apply when you are taking children again. If you are a school year only child care please contact us for more information by calling 913-477-8339.

When is my county renewal fee due?
The county fee is due upon receipt of the letter sent by the county. Both homes and centers will receive invoices for annual fees and compliance checks. If you need to discuss payment options, please call the contact number on the invoice to talk with someone in the Child Care Licensing Division.

A new Fire Life Safety Agreement (FLSA) was not included in my renewal paperwork for my home daycare. Do I need to send one in?
You are required to call your local fire department to let them know that you will continue providing child care in your home. The fire marshal will tell you if another inspection is required. If not, the current FLSA and date of the last inspection is sufficient. A copy of the FLSA needs to be sent to KDHE wth your renewal papers.

Questions about Training and Regulations

Where can I find the training requirements?
The requirements are located on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment's website. Here is a link to the document on their site.

Is orientation training required?
All new applicants are required by regulation to have child care facility orientation training. For information on classes, please call 913-477-8339.

How do I know when to start counting in-service hours in my in-home daycare or daycare center?
Centers and homes have different requirements. Clock hours approved by KDHE are required each licensing year, not calendar year. Extra in-service hours cannot be carried over to the next licensing year.

In my daycare center, do all of my substitute staff members need first aid training?
Yes, all substitutes, volunteers, and staff counting in the ration must have required training, including first aid and signs and symptoms. Click here to find training regulations.

Questions from Providers Regarding Care

What are the state regulations for giving an infant Tylenol or ibuprophen for a fever?  Is the provider allowed to administer it to any infant with a note or only under special circumstances?
In order for the provider to administer the medication, the parents have to sign the KDHE medication authorization form. The provider has to sign the same form every time the medication is given to the child. The parent should indicate on the form when and why the medication is to be given.

What are the restrictions to wooden swing sets? I have heard that they are no longer allowed at home daycares.
Wooden swing sets are still allowed. You need to know if the swing set is treated with arsenic sealant or other sealant. The wooden sets will follow the same reguations as all swing sets. Ground cover rules apply to all swing sets in homes.

How do I know if a child has head lice?
Kansas State University Research and Extension provides information about head lice in this document. Also, the Kids Health website offers some information especially related to children. Additionally, the National Association of School Nurses offers tools and resources to help reduce the fear and stigma of head lice and help parents navigate treatment choices. English and Spanish versions are available here.

What do I do if a parent asks me to sleep their baby on their stomach?
Babies shall sleep on their backs unless the provider has been granted an exception from KDHE (Kansas Department of Health of Environment). Providers are required to have a safe sleep policy and two hours of training on safe sleep practices and SIDS. Call us for sample policies and/or questions.

What ground cover is approved for use under my anchored equipment?
"Play" sand, pea gravel, some mulches. Make sure that you are using an approved product before you install it. Call 913-477-8339 if you have any questions.

Questions from Parents

How can I tell if a provider is licensed?
Look for or ask to see their license. The license must be posted if they are currently providing care and/or accepting new children. Licenses have an expiration date, so look for the date to make sure it is current. You may also call us at 913-477-8339 to obtain this information.

Who do I call if I have questions, concerns or want to make a complaint about my daycare facility or daycare provider?
Please call the Child Care Licensing division at (913) 477-8339. All regulatory questions will be answered and investigated if indicated.

If my child has a toileting accident, doesn't the provider have to wash out my child's clothing?
No. The provider is not allowed to wash out any soiled diapers, training pants or clothing. The provider is required to place soiled items into a plastic bag or covered container and send it home with the parent. They must do the same thing for their own children's soiled items until the end of the daycare day. This is important to reduce the risk of spreading diseases.

If my provider tells me that I have to call before I pick up my child, do I have to?
No, you are allowed access to the day care during all hours of operation. If you are told to call before pick up or that you cannot look in rooms that used for daycare, report this to the Child Care Licensing division at 913-477-8339.

How can I tell if there have been complaints or problems with a daycare?
KDHE has an online system for reviewing licensed facilities compliance history. Data entry into the system began in October 2011, so it may be necessary to also send in the written open records request as described below. To access the online system, please go to KDHE CAPP. The system will show violations (regulations not being followed) and consultations (technical assistance given to provider) for annual and initial visits, as well as other information.

Alternatively, and for records earlier than October 2011, contact KDHE in writing (letter, FAX or email). Give them the name and address of the facility and request complaint reports, last annual survey, all enforcement actions, and all Notice of Survey Findings (NOSF) forms. One to two years worth of history should be sufficient. Be sure to include your name, address, and phone number. KDHE will let you know the cost of providing this information to you. This is usually $7.00 per hour and $0.25 per page for printing costs. However, if less than 10 pages, there might not be a charge.

Who do I contact to help me find a child care provider?
Please contact one of these Johnson County resource and referral agencies: The Daycare Connection at 913-529-1200 or The Family Conservancy at 913-573-2273. Kansas statute does not allow JCDHE staff to make provider recommendations. Contact us at 913-477-8339 if you have additional questions about finding care.

Child Care Licensing

The first step to starting a child care facility is to attend an orientation meeting.  For home child care - click Child Care Classes and sign up for Information Meeting (orientation).  To start a child care center - call Eldonna Chesnut at (913) 477-8366 to set up your individual orientation.

The Child Care Licensing Division is located at the Sunset Drive Office Building:

11811 S. Sunset Drive, Suite 2700, Olathe, KS 66061

The Johnson County Department of Health and Environment's Child Care Licensing division works with all child care facilities in Johnson County. According to Kansas Child Care Licensing Law, anyone providing care for children other than those related by blood, marriage, or adoption, must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

Mandatory classes required before becoming a child care provider are:

  • Certified Pediatric First Aid and CPR
  • Safe Sleep Practices
  • Recognizing Child Abuse and Neglect, including Prevention of Abusive Head Trauma
  • Child Development

If you have further questions regarding whether a particular course will count for these requirements, please email Nancy Johnson for child care homes or Susan Merys for child care centers and school age programs.

To enroll in one of our classes, please register at Child Care Education/Classes

 If you have questions, please email Stacey Stroh.

Child Care Facility Compliance Search

To view regulatory compliance history of your child care provider go to the KDHE Online Portal.

Child Care Facility Complaints

To report a complaint or concern about a child care facility in Johnson County, please call the Child Care Licensing Division at (913) 477-8339.  All regulatory questions will be answered and investigated if indicated.


Online Facility Compliance Search

Quality Child Care Questionnaire for Parents - What to Ask

Kansas Law

Child Care Provider Forms

Childhood Immunizations

Clients 18 years and younger with private health insurance are required to provide documentation of immunization coverage. If you need a copy of your immunization records, call 913-826-1200 or send an email to MedicalRecords-DHE@jocogov.org.

What to Bring with You

  • Your child's immunization record
  • Insurance card

Immunization Clinic Hours (Olathe and Mission)

The Mission immunization clinic is closed daily from 12:30-1:30 p.m.; the Olathe clinic remains open.

  • Monday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
  • Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • 1st, 3rd and 5th Friday (Olathe) - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Mission - CLOSED
  • 2nd and 4th Friday (Olathe) - 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.; Mission - CLOSED

Childhood Immunizations Offered and Vaccine Prices

  • Hepatitis B
  • Rotavirus
  • DTaP
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal
  • Polio
  • Influenza (Seasonal Flu)
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
  • Varicella (Chickenpox)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Meningitis: Menomune/Menactra, Trumenba
  • HPV (Gardasil) 4 and (Gardasil) 9
  • Kinrix
  • Pediarix

Those who don't meet criteria may pay for vaccines out-of-pocket or bill to insurance. JCDHE is a KanCare provider for all managed care organizations: Amerigroup, Sunflower and United Community. JCDHE also accepts private insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City, Cigna, Coventry and UnitedHealthcare. We do not take insurance from Coventry Advantra or Humana Gold Plus. Many of the services JCDHE offers are covered by insurance; check your health benefit plan to confirm coverage for payment of services.

JCDHE also accepts cash, check, credit or debit card as payment for clients who are without insurance or who carry other insurance plans.

Private pay immunizations have to be paid at the time of service. Price is subject to change based on cost of vaccine.

Immunization Consent Form

A written consent form is required for all immunizations. A parent or guardian must provide a written consent form for children under 18. Please bring child's current immunization record to the visit.

Childhood Vaccine Schedules

School Immunizations

Information on REQUIRED vaccinations by the State of Kansas for the current school year for any individual who attends school, a preschool, or a childcare program operated by a school: http://www.kdheks.gov/immunize/schoolInfo.htm



Children's Activities for Caregivers

This page is currently under construction. Please check back soon for lots of fun activities.

Community Health Assessment Process (CHAP)

The Community Health Assessment Process (CHAP) is a Johnson County community partnership, which collectively and systematically assesses the health status and needs of our community.  The goal is to improve and/or maintain a high level of health for our citizenry.

CHAP Timeline

Current CHAP activities:

Community Health Improvement Plan 2012:

Dispense Assist

Dispense Assist logoDispense Assist is an easy-to-use online tool used by local health departments, hospitals and health care providers to screen individuals during public health emergencies and seasonal/pandemic influenza. This no-cost tool streamlines dispensing/vaccination operations and is already being implemented in public health jurisdictions, hospitals and other health care entities nationwide.

Watch this broadcast to see how Dispense Assist works at a seasonal flu clinic.

How to Use Dispense Assist (General Public) En español

This video will assist you with printing out a medication voucher during a public health emergency. The medication voucher system will help you receive the medication that is right for you. To print your voucher, you must have access to a computer and a printer. If you do not have a computer and printer available, contact the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment for assistance. Thank you to Seattle & King County Public Health for collaborating and assisting with the development of this video.

Dispensing Medication during a Public Health Emergency (Open/Closed Sites) En español

This video will assist dispensers with processing vouchers produced from Dispense Assist, an online medication screening tool made available by the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment. Thank you to Seattle & King County Public Health for collaborating and assisting with the development of this video. 

EPI Update

The EPI Update newsletter logo

The EPI Update is a free, quarterly e-newsletter created by the disease containment staff of the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment for Johnson County, Kansas health care professionals.

The newsletter provides doctors, nurses, and other health care providers in Johnson County with up-to-date information on infectious diseases, public health emergency and bioterrorism planning efforts, disease surveillance, and other epidemiologic topics as they pertain to our community. If you would like to be added to the EPI Update mailing list, send an email to jcdhe@jocogov.org.

Recent Issues

Fourth Quarter 2017

Third Quarter 2017


Family Emergency Preparedness

It's important to plan and prepare your family for emergencies. Knowing what to do before, during and after an emergency is a critical part of being prepared and may make all the difference when seconds count.

Start with a list of basic disaster supplies recommended by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). If you or someone in your household has special needs, preparing for an emergency may involve additional considerations.

PrepareMetroKC.org also provides regional planning initiatives in the Kansas City Metro area and a planning tool to help you tailor your emergency plan for your family.

Get involved in your community

You can provide support to local public health agencies and emergency management departments in an emergency by visiting the Mid-America Medical Reserve Corps and Olathe CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) websites.

Information on local emergency management training opportunities and emergency and disaster planning templates can be found at Johnson County Emergency Management & Homeland Security.

Join the National Preparedness Coalition where you will have access to exclusive resources and be able to collaborate with thousands of fellow members across the country on ways to participate and get your community involved in preparedness activities.

The American Red Cross Greater Kansas City Chapter serves more than 1.5 million people in a five-county area with disaster preparedness and relief programs, health and safety training, and blood collection and distribution.

Information on public health-related disasters, as well as detailed information on possible bioterrorism agents, is available at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Emergency Preparedness & Response website.

Family Planning

Program Objectives

Man gazing into woman's eyes

  • To assist individuals or couples with the timing and spacing of pregnancies
  • To provide counseling and contraceptive services; assist with infertility and identify other medical problems
  • To improve knowledge about reproduction and the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases

Family planning services are available on a walk-in basis during the hours below.

Olathe Clinic Hours

  • Monday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
  • Thursday - CLOSED
  • 1st, 3rd, and 5th Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • 2nd and 4th Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Mission Clinic Hours

  • Monday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
  • Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Friday - CLOSED

Services Available

  • Reproductive health
  • Health education
  • Contraceptive services/natural family planning/abstinence
  • Physical examination for women on admission and annual exam
  • Employment physicals for men and women
  • Rubella screening and counseling
  • Infertility counseling and referral
  • Pregnancy testing, counseling, and referral
  • Early Detection Works (FREE breast and cervical cancer screening for Kansas women who qualify)
  • Dietitian and Social Worker available upon referral
  • Vaginitis testing and treatment
  • Contraceptive counseling for men
  • Colposcopy
  • LEEP (Loop Electrical Excisional Procedure)
  • Cryotherapy
  • Laboratory testing in CLIA-approved laboratory

Fees for Services

Fees for office visits, lab services, and supplies will be determined based on family size and proof of client’s total annual gross income (e.g., paycheck stub, letter from employer, JCDHE’s Verification of Income form).

Income shall include but is not limited to: wages, salary, commissions, unemployment or workmen’s compensation, public assistance money payments, alimony and child support payments, college and university scholarships, grants, fellowships and assistantships, etc. Income shall not include tax refunds, one-time insurance payments, gifts, loans and federal non-cash programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, etc.

Some services are available regardless of ability to pay. No one is denied service due to inability to pay. Call (913) 826-1200 for additional information.

Major insurers may pay all or part of the cost of services. Cash, check or major credit card is accepted. Client accounts may be subject to collections if not paid.

JCDHE is a KanCare provider for all managed care organizations: Amerigroup, Sunflower and United Community. JCDHE also accepts private insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City, Cigna, Coventry and UnitedHealthcare. We do not take insurance from Coventry Advantra or Humana Gold Plus. Check your health benefit plan to confirm coverage for payment of services.

Flu Planning

5 ways to plan for a flu pandemic
You and your family can start preparing now for a flu pandemic in five steps.

  1. Store food and water - Store one gallon of water per person per day to cover at least three days. Keep kitchen stocked with canned meats, fruits, vegetables and soups, as well as nonperishable food like granola bars, peanut butter and dried fruit. If there is an infant to care for, be sure to have baby food, formula and other supplies on hand. Store extra pet food for animals.
  2. Limit the spread of disease - Stay at home when you are sick. Use a tissue when sneezing or coughing. Most importantly, practice good handwashing. Be sure to teach these good habits to children.
  3. Medication - Have a supply of any prescription drugs you have on hand. Also, have non-prescription drugs and other health supplies available (stomach remedies, medicines for fever, cough and cold medicines and fluids with electrolytes).
  4. Communicate and stay informed - Listen for health reports on the radio or television. Go to www.jocogov.org, as well as Twitter (@JOCOHealth), Facebook (@jocohealthdept), Instagram (@jocohealthdept) and YouTube (@JCDHEKS) for information. Keep an emergency contact list for family, friends or others that might need your care.
  5. Emergency kit - Keep an emergency kit in case other emergencies arise, like a power outage. Items to include: batteries, flashlight, battery-powered radio, bottled water, nonperishable food, first aid kit, prescription medicine, extra money, credit card(s) and sturdy trash bags. Put items in a container you can easily carry.

If you get the flu during a pandemic, health officials estimate it will take about 5 to 7 days to recover.

Flu Questions

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

What is the flu shot?

The flu shot is an inactivated vaccine (containing killed virus) that is given with a needle, usually in the arm. Flu vaccine causes antibodies to develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination. These antibodies provide protection against infection from the viruses that are in the vaccine.

The seasonal flu shot protects against three influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season. Three kinds of influenza viruses commonly circulate among people today: influenza B viruses, influenza A (H1N1) viruses, and influenza A (H3N2) viruses. Each year, one flu virus of each kind is used to produce seasonal influenza vaccine. Viruses for the flu shot are grown in eggs.

Who should get a flu shot?

Everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu shot every season. Vaccination to prevent influenza is particularly important for people who are at high risk of serious commplications from influenza:

  • Children aged 6 months to 5 years
  • Pregnant women
  • People 50 years of age and older
  • People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
  • People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities

People who live with or care for those at high risk for serious flu complications should get a flu shot every year too:

  • Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu (see above)
  • Household contacts and out-of-home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)
  • Healthcare workers

During flu seasons when vaccine supplies are limited or delayed, the ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices) makes recommendations regarding priority groups for vaccination.

Who should NOT get a flu shot?

Talk with a doctor before getting a flu vaccine if you:

  • Have a severe allergy to eggs
  • Have had a severe reaction to an influenza vaccination
  • Children younger than 6 months of age (influenza vaccine is not approved for this age group)
  • People who have a moderate-to-severe illness with a fever (they should wait until they recover to get vaccinated)
  • People with a history of Guillain–Barré Syndrome (a severe paralytic illness, also called GBS) that occurred after receiving influenza vaccine and who are not at risk for severe illness from influenza should generally not receive vaccine. Tell your doctor if you ever had Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Your doctor will help you decide whether the vaccine is recommended for you.

You can get a flu vaccine at the same time you have a respiratory illness without fever or if you have another mild illness.

How effective is the flu vaccine?

Influenza vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary from year to year and among different age and risk groups. For more information about vaccine effectiveness, visit How Well Does the Seasonal Flu Vaccine Work?

What are the risks from getting a flu vaccine?

The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. The risk of a flu shot causing serious harm, or death, is extremely small. However, a vaccine, like any medicine, may rarely cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions. Almost all people who get influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it.

What are the side effects that could occur?

  • Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
  • Fever (low grade)
  • Aches

If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last one to two days. These side effects are mild and short-lasting, especially when compared to symptoms of influenza infection.

Can severe problems occur?

  • Life-threatening allergic reactions are very rare. Signs of serious allergic reaction can include breathing problems, hoarseness or wheezing, hives, paleness, weakness, a fast heartbeat, or dizziness. If they do occur, it is within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot. These reactions are more likely to occur among persons with a severe allergy to eggs, because the viruses used in the influenza vaccine are grown in hens' eggs. People who have had a severe reaction to eggs or to a flu shot in the past should not get a flu shot before seeing a physician.
  • Guillain-Barré syndrome: Normally, about one person per 100,000 people per year will develop Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), an illness characterized by fever, nerve damage, and muscle weakness. In 1976, vaccination with the swine flu vaccine was associated with getting GBS. Several studies have been done to evaluate if other flu vaccines since 1976 were associated with GBS. Only one of the studies showed an association. That study suggested that one person out of 1 million vaccinated persons may be at risk of GBS associated with the vaccine.

More facts about potential side effects of the influenza vaccine can be found in Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines.

What should I do if I have had a serious reaction to influenza vaccine?

  • Call a doctor, or get to a doctor right away
  • Tell your doctor what happened, the date and time it happened, and when you got the flu shot
  • Ask your doctor, nurse, or health department to file a Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)* form, or call VAERS at 1-800-822-7967

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Flu Shots

Seasonal flu shots now available

The best way to protect yourself from getting the flu is to receive the flu shot. The vaccine is safe and effective. JCDHE encourages everyone over the age of 6 months to get the flu shot.

Seasonal flu shots are now available for adults and children over the age of 6 months at the immunization walk-in clinics in Olathe and Mission. The cost is $30 for a seasonal flu shot and $50 for the high dose flu shot for those age 65 and older.

We accept private insurance from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City, Cigna, Coventry, UnitedHealthcare and Medicare Part B. We do not take insurance from Coventry Advantra or Humana Gold Plus. We are a KanCare provider for all managed care organizations such as Amerigroup, Sunflower and United Community. Cash, check or credit card payment is also accepted for those without insurance or who carry other insurance plans.  

Walk-in immunization clinic hours

The Mission clinic is closed daily from 12:30-1:30 p.m.; the Olathe clinic remains open.

  • Monday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
  • Thursday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  • 1st, 3rd and 5th Friday (Olathe) - 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Mission - CLOSED
  • 2nd and 4th Friday (Olathe) - 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.; Mission - CLOSED

Save yourself time in line

Complete form online BEFORE arriving at the clinic, print it and bring it with you. Check-in online using the QLess mobile app or click on the "Get in Line Now" button on our website.

Vaccine Information Statements (VIS):

Patient Privacy Notice 

Flu Symptoms

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Influenza Symptoms, Protection, and What to Do If you Get Sick
Influenza (commonly called the “flu”) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. The information below describes common flu symptoms, how to protect yourself and those close to you from getting the flu, and what to do if you get sick with flu-like symptoms.

People May Have Different Reactions to the Flu
The flu can cause mild to severe illness and at times can lead to death. Although most healthy people recover from the flu without complications, some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions, are at high risk for serious complications from the flu.

Be Aware of Common Flu Symptoms
Influenza usually starts suddenly and may include the following symptoms:

  • Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.

* It's important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

Having these symptoms does not always mean that you have the flu. Many different illnesses, including the common cold, can have similar symptoms.

Know the Risks from the Flu
In some people, the flu can cause serious complications, including bacterial pneumonia, dehydration, and worsening of chronic medical conditions, such as congestive heart failure, asthma, or diabetes. Children and adults may develop sinus problems and ear infections.

Know How the Flu Spreads
The flu usually spreads from person to person in respiratory droplets when people who are infected cough or sneeze. People occasionally may become infected by touching something with influenza virus on it and then touching their mouth, nose, or eyes.

Healthy adults may be able to infect others 1 day before getting symptoms and up to 5 days after getting sick. Therefore, it is possible to give someone the flu before you know you are sick as well as while you are sick.

Protection against the Flu
The single best way to protect yourself and others against influenza is to get a flu shot every year.

  • The "flu shot" is an inactivated vaccine (containing killed virus) that is given with a needle, usually in the arm. The flu shot is approved for use in people older than 6 months, including healthy people and people with chronic medical conditions.
  • October or November is the best time to get vaccinated, but you can still get vaccinated in December and later. Flu season can begin as early as October and can last as late as springtime.

The following additional measures can help protect against the flu.

Habits for Good Health
These steps may help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses such as the flu:

  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze—throw the tissue away after you use it.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If you are not near water, use an alcohol-based hand cleaner.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
  • If you get the flu, stay home from work, school, and social gatherings. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.
  • Try not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs often spread this way.

Antiviral Medications
There are three FDA-approved influenza antiviral drugs recommended by CDC this season to treat influenza. The brand names for these are Tamiflu® (generic name oseltamivir), Relenza® (generic name zanamivir), and Rapivab® (generic name peramivir). Tamiflu® is available as a pill or liquid and Relenza® is a powder that is inhaled. (Relenza® is not for people with breathing problems like asthma or COPD, for example). Rapivab® is given intravenously by a health care provider. There are no generic flu antiviral drugs.

What to Do If You Get Sick

Diagnosing the Flu
It is very difficult to distinguish the flu from other infections on the basis of symptoms alone. A doctor's exam may be needed to tell whether you have developed the flu or a complication of the flu. There are tests that can determine if you have the flu as long you are tested within the first 2 or 3 days of illness.

If you develop flu-like symptoms and are concerned about your illness, especially if are at high risk for complications of the flu, you should consult your healthcare provider. Those at high risk for complications include people 65 years or older, people with chronic medical conditions, pregnant women and young children.

Other Ways to Respond to the Flu
If you get the flu, get plenty of rest, drink a lot of liquids, and avoid using alcohol and tobacco. Also, you can take medications such as acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol®) to relieve the fever and muscle aches associated with the flu. Never give aspirin to children or teenagers who have flu-like symptoms, particularly fever.

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)


WIC Community Garden Volunteer Sign-Up

Do you enjoy gardening? Want to learn how to grow your own fresh fruits and vegetables? Do you like to help people in our community? Then we need YOU to volunteer in the WIC Community Garden. Volunteers are needed every Tuesday from 7:30-9:30 a.m. during the growing season (April-October). All produce harvested from the garden will go to WIC families in Johnson County. The garden is located at 11875 S. Sunset Drive in Olathe (north side of the Health Services Building).

We will only contact you in case of cancellation or when we have important WIC Garden information for volunteers.
(e.g., 913-555-1212)
List names and ages of all children under age 18 who will be volunteering with you. (e.g., Emily, 7; Matthew, 10).
(e.g., 913-555-1212)
(e.g., 913-555-1212)

Volunteer Hold Harmless Agreement

In consideration of being a volunteer for the Johnson County WIC Community Garden, I do hereby assume the risk of injury and all medical expense incurred from any injury resulting from my volunteer participation.  I understand, acknowledge and agree I am not covered by Workers’ Compensation insurance or benefits provided thereunder and I do hereby release, discharge and hold harmless Johnson County, its agents, representatives and employees, from any and all claims whatsoever, known or unknown, for damages or injuries to myself and children under age 18.

Release To Use Photographs, Video, Name and other Reproductions

I hereby grant to the Johnson County, Kansas Government and its related agencies and departments (hereinafter referred to as “Johnson County”), and its employees, legal representatives and assigns in the performance of their duties for Johnson County, the absolute right and permission to use or copyright, in its own name or otherwise, and re-use, publish, and re-publish photographic pictures, video, electronic images or other reproductions of me or in which I may be included, in whole or in part, or composite or distorted in character or form, without restriction as to changes or alterations, in conjunction with or without my own name or a fictitious name, or reproductions thereof in color or otherwise, made through any medium, and in any and all media now or hereafter known for illustration, promotion, art, advertising, trade, including film, photographic, video, electronic or digital formats or reproductions, or any other purpose of any kind. I also consent to the use of any printed or electronic matter in conjunction therewith. The uses and rights granted herein are donated to Johnson County freely and without financial consideration as a public service.

I hereby waive any right that I may have to inspect or approve the finished product or products and the advertising copy or other matter that may be used in connection therewith or the use to which it may be applied.

I hereby release, discharge and agree to save harmless Johnson County, its employees, departments, legal representatives and assigns, and all persons acting under this Release, from any liability for such use, including by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form, whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in such use or in any subsequent processing thereof, as well as any publication thereof, including without limitation any claims for libel or invasion of privacy.

I hereby warrant that I am of legal age and have the right to contract in my own name or I am the parent or legal guardian of the subject for whom this Release is granted. I have read the above Release, prior to its execution, and I am fully familiar with and understand the contents thereof. This Release shall be binding upon me and my heirs, legal representatives, and assigns.


Upcoming Events

| View All
December 19, 2017 | 11:30 am to 1:30 pm

Johnson County Food Policy Council Meeting

December 20, 2017 | 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Walk-in Health Clinic Hours

December 25, 2017 | 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

JCDHE Closed on Christmas Day (Dec. 25, 2017)

December 27, 2017 | 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Walk-in Health Clinic Hours

January 1, 2018 | 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

JCDHE Closed on New Year's Day (Jan. 1, 2018)